Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Penny Candy Was A Hard Decision 1/6/2020

 Good Morning,

The day is a little dreary outside this morning and my cup of Door County Christmas Coffee is at my side. Our two dogs are resting after being fed and i feel like the area where we live just needs some sunshine or some more snow. I am not sure which one is needed the most.

Back when I was a child, big grocery store chains were outnumbered by the local Mom and Pop stores located within neighborhoods. For the longest time my parents shopped at a small store filled right to the ceiling with items for sale. That little place had everything. The store was named Richard's after the owner and butcher. You actually had to place orders for things like a ham for Easter or a turkey for Thanksgiving. He usually had one or two on hand for people, but when the rush for a ham would be great you had to order one. Richard would write down your name on some paper that hung on the wall and ask what day you would want it and the order was complete. Since many of his patrons lived close by, the special order was delivered sometimes. It was probably because he needed cooler space.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault. and it will be given to you. 

For me, going with my dad to the store would sometimes provide the treat of "Penny Candy". In the front of the store at the one and only check out counter was a display of candy. Each piece of the many different kinds were sold for one penny. The problem was this. Dad would hand you two or three cents to buy your own candy. But since the candy display was at the one and only check out counter you had to know what you wanted before it was your turn to spend your pennies. There were so many items to choose from that believe it or not I would get so confused as to what I wanted that Dad would just move me out of the way so others could check out and pay for their groceries. A few times he just said "let's go" and we would leave and I hadn't purchased a thing. Now that did not mean I could save my pennies and double up on the next trip and purchase 6 pennies worth of candy. It meant that I wasn't prepared to make my decision and I lost out. I was allowed to keep the three cents and that is what I could spend the next time we went to the store. You were in deep trouble if you lost your three pennies before you could spend them. I kept mine in my room at all times until it was time to shop. 

My point is this. I knew every item that was on those candy shelves. I just had to make the decision as to what to buy. Friends, wouldn't that be nice if for one, you could still get candy for a penny and if choosing which candy was the biggest decision you had to make?

As with every year, every month, and every day we will need to make decisions. Some of our decisions have lasting impacts on us and others. I didn't rush the candy sale and lived through it. Not every decision has to be rushed into and made on the spot. What seems to be the correct decision today might show to be flawed tomorrow. Think and pray before making decisions. Ask for wisdom from above.

You might find that waiting prevents calamity. I recall waiting on a candy decision and the next time I went to the store they were trying to get rid of some of the candy stock because of age and I was able to get two pieces of cavity material for 1 penny. 


No comments:

Post a Comment