Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Keep The Instructions Close A Lesson From Proverbs 1/13/2021

 Good Morning,

A new day began for me an hour ago with our two dogs wanting to go outside. Once they were outside they were bound and determined to come back inside and eat. I made them wait until my Door County Autumn Spice Coffee finished brewing. They decided to be patient and wait.

Proverbs 1:8 Hear my son your father's instruction and heed your mother's teachings.


In our Men's Bible Study, we have been studying the Book Of Proverbs and are close to finishing chapter 6.  There sure is a lot of godly advice and much of it is laced with common sense. The one thing that reads loud and clear to me is that the instructions given in the 31 chapters of Proverbs are also to be taught by the parents and grandparents. Collectively they are to point the younger generation to the instructions of God as well as how to live day by day with ordinary instructions. An example would be on how to safely cross the street being taught to a youngster. 

One of the lessons taught to us from Proverbs so far is about debt and to protect yourself from incurring the debts of others. In other words be careful for what you cosign for, you could end up ruining your own credit. The second thing that reads loud and clear is that we are to heed the instructions, and keep them near and dear to us. As a young man I watched my dad work two jobs so he could pay things away without owing people anything. He died with the best credit score you can obtain. I saw him pay cash for the things he needed, instructing me to do the same so as to stay clear of debt. As I grew older and used a credit card to pay for gasoline,(it made tracking my fuel expenses easier) he saw me use the credit card. His advice was this. "Pay that off as soon as possible so you don't owe anything else." His advice was valid and even though I was forty years old I still listened and heeded the advice. We are never too old to be taught by our parents and our parents are never too old to be considered valid. 

I see myself doing a lot of things taught to me by my father, who had them taught to him by my grandfather. I rub down my axes and splitting mall with a light coat of oil when I am finished using them. I never see any rust on the chopping implements and have yet to need to replace any in 45 years.

Friends you are still responsible for teaching your kids and grandkids, despite your age and theirs. People! You are to heed the directions they give you re: God and life in general. Cherish the directions and keep them close. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment