Saturday, January 30, 2021

Fighting Your Way Back 1/30/2021

 Good Morning,

Our home is very quiet this morning as I write today. I was up early with our two dogs Gibbs and Leo. They are nestled on their beds right now after after running around outside. I just poured a very hot cup of Door County Churro Coffee and now it is time to get serious.

Romans 12:9 Let love be genuine, abhor evil and cling to what is good. 

I used to take a turn at bringing an elderly man to church on Sundays. We had a pool of people that would take turns driving this nice man to church. He was a pleasure to have as a friend and a passenger.  This fella was a World War Two veteran and served in the United States Army. He was in several large war battles and would tell you about it if you asked. He was in some pretty tough spots during the war. I asked him one Sunday morning what kept him going during one particular battle. He said this. "It was simple. The enemy was shooting at me to end my life. I either fought back or died or became a prisoner. Neither one of those seemed like a good option. And all I wanted to do was fight harder to end the war so I could go back home to my family. That's what kept me going every day, every hour." He passed away a few years ago and I still miss him. 

I admired his honest answer and think about it often. He wanted to be with his family and had to fight his way back home. That war was ugly like all wars and the battles were fierce. My friend made it back home, and raised his family. He was a loving man. 

I think about what it took to fight like that with one goal in mind, and it was family.

Let me ask you this today. Are you a family person? Do you work hard all day and then dawdle on the way home, claiming for yourself some "Me Time". Or do you fight your way home to let those gathered there know how important they are to you? Do they know that after God, they are your top priority and all you want to do is get right back home to them? Do you fight off the enemy that tempts you to stop for a beer first? Do you fight off the temptation to work longer just so you might get a promotion? We have come up with so many reasons why we need to not go straight home that it isn't funny. 

So how about letting our family know that they are worth fighting for, by showing them they are a priority for you. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment