Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Heartbreak The Heroin Brings 1/24/2021

 Good Morning,

I am writing late today and I apologize for doing so. I know some of you read my blog early in the morning. I just poured a hot cup of Door County Spice Coffee  and now it is time to write.

Acts 20:35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak. We must remember the Lord's words it is more blessed to give than receive. 


The reason for being late is simple but sad. I was called late last night or you cold call it early in the morning. Friends of ours gave us a ring to ask for prayer for their son. He is 18 and had been missing for a few days. We already had been praying for him. When the phone rings at 2:AM I never look forward to good news as I answer the call.  The call had good news and bad news. Their son had been found in a large city about 5 hours away. The bad news is he had overdosed on heroin and was in the hospital on life support and it wasn't looking good for him. As of this morning the latest update is that there hasn't been any improvement in his condition.

Our friends asked if we could pray together and talk for awhile as they drove to their sad destination. I listened, we prayed and talked for abut an hour. They both cried at times, showed some anger, and were running the gauntlet of heartbreak. Prior to experimenting with drugs their son was a very good student, athlete, and son. But along came the breakup with a girlfriend as often happens in life. I asked if I could write about this and have been granted permission. It seems as if the short relationship of boyfriend and girlfriend ceased and is no one's fault. In high school those things happen.

But here is the lesson. To our young friend this was more than a high school crush, puppy love or adolescent love. He was in love and this nice young girl was his everything. My friends really had no idea how he felt about this young lady. They thought he would be over it and move on to someone new. They had no idea how heartbroken he was.  The point is this. No matter the age15, 18, or 92 a break up hurts and we can never take that lightly. Before a person can turn to despair and have despair win we need to understand what hurts some hurts others more. That's the thing my friends want me to point out to all.  Covid and politics now consume the spotlight. In the rubble of these two things there are drugs, pain, and hurt still out there. It's time to restart the fight on the  drugs that kill and the causes for their use. 

Recognize that hurt, hurts, no matter the age. We need to respond to those who's hurts we would classify as little.  To them they are big. We need to respond and not judge. We need to be there for them before heroin calls and brings more heartache.

God Bless,

Marty

3 comments: