Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Boy Had To Grow Up A Little 2/25/2024

 Good Morning,

I have a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee in front of me and I plan on sipping it slowly and enjoying the moment for a few minutes. 

Yesterday I wrote about learning how to walk home from school and I promised to write a follow-up today. So here it goes. Our family had been going through a rough spot during my first grade year. Mom had to have a heart surgery and at that time the surgery was not being performed in our home city. Mom and Dad spent a great amount of time in another state for her surgery and her recovery time. It was decided at that time to move to a smaller home so there were less stairs for Mom to navigate. My parents found a home and it was right next to my dad's sister and her family. That is a blessing I will write about another day. I wasn't too happy to be told that I would have to attend a new school and make new friends,

My parents and my sister were trying to move into the new home every day by hauling things in the car. My dad worked second shift so they would work to get small things moved during the morning before Dad left for work. The big move would come later. 

We had been making a lot of adjustments to life as of late. Many times we had a relative staying with my sister and me while the folks were a state away with mom's doctor appointments. Or they would have us stay with them in their homes.

One day when I walked home successfully from school, I encountered a surprise that I will never forget. Normally some adult was always there when I made it home from school. This particular week was one that Mom was home from her health issues. I was looking forward to getting home from school and watching my afternoon dose of the Three Stooges on the old black and white television. There wasn't that much homework to do back then so a little television was acceptable. I climbed the steps to our back door and found the door to be locked. I rang the door bell and no response. I went around the house to the front door and it too was locked. I went to the back door and sat down on the steps. What could be wrong? The last time we had any issue at home, my mother had experienced her first heart attack and she was taken away in an ambulance. My sister and I were scooped up by a kind neighbor, we were fed, and put to bed on the couch while she knitted something. She took great care of us until my dad came home and explained as best he could to two little kids what was going on.

So my mind wandered back to that day and I started imagining the worst. Then I remembered the other lesson my dad taught me. If I ever came home and no one was there I was to go next door and tell our neighbor and she would let me in with the key she had for our house. I followed Dad's plan and it failed. Our neighbor was not home. I zipped up my jacket and sat on our back steps, I trusted my dad to somehow know about my "Home Alone" experience and I just waited. I am sure it was only 30 minutes at most, but it seemed like hours went by before a police officer came to our back door. I almost pooped in my pants. I was so scared of what he might say to me. He asked me my name and he told me his. He explained that my dad had called them to check on me and that he was on his way. I answered every question the officer asked me. He was just trying to engage me in conversation and take my mind off of the situation. He asked how I liked school. Even now that question seems dumb to a kid who just wanted to watch the Three Stooges. But he was being kind and I now find myself asking dumb questions to little kids because I don't know what to say. 

Then I saw the officers look to the front of the house and I could hear my dad talking to them. I got up off of the steps and could see my dad limping badly as he walked. My mom and sister were nowhere to be seen. My dad explained that there was a bad car accident and my mom and sister were in the hospital. Our car was wrecked. One of my aunts was with my dad. She had picked up my dad from the hospital and they came for me. We were both dropped off at another aunt's home and our needs were taken care of. Mom was in for a long haul of health issues. My sister mended up in about  four weeks.

The next day I was driven to school by my uncle and picked up by him as well. But nothing was the same or normal for a long time. What I do recall though was my dad sitting me down and saying. "You did a good job that day. You followed the plan. I will always come for you when you need me. Always stick to the plan. And when in doubt use your head. It was good for you to stay put so I could find you."

My point is this. As much as possible always teach your kids a plan for safety. Do whatever it takes to keep your word to them. And then when they make you proud, tell them you are proud of them. I will never forget what Dad said and I will never forget how happy I was to see him coming for me. 

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: And when he is old, he will not depart from it. 

Have a great day!

Marty

 




No comments:

Post a Comment