Saturday, February 24, 2024

Just A Little Late And I Was In Trouble 2/24/2024

 Good Morning,

A hot cup of Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee is steaming in front of me. I am looking forward to a nice day with some exercise by walking behind some Springer Spaniels chasing a few pheasants. 

I recall  a week or two before I was going to attend 1st grade. My dad told me that I would need to be walking home from school. In the mornings he would give me a ride to school. So to make sure I could manage the 7 block walk I was informed that I needed to practice. 

Dad and I walked to the church and school site, which included crossing a "busy street" and navigating stop lights. That one took several practice sessions. Then one day, my dad said to me that he was driving me to the school and I had to make it home on my own. Given a brisk walk my eta should be 15 minutes or less. That didn't mean too much to me, because I didn't own a watch and couldn't really tell time all that well.


Dad dropped me off at school and drove away. He went in the opposite direction so I could not follow him. So, off I went for home and was checking off the buildings dad said were markers that told me I was going the right way. The firehouse was to be my place of refuge if I was in danger. The other school where I attended kindergarten was a a sign that I was real close to home. I crossed all the streets, looked both ways before stepping into the road. I nodded to  all the building markers in the correct order. I stopped to throw some acorns to a squirrel and enjoyed watching them scramble for the nuts. I had been picking up acorns that had fallen from the oak trees near the sidewalk. What boy doesn't collect acorns? 

Well when I reached home all proud of myself, I saw my dad sitting on the porch looking at his watch. It seems my fifteen minute walk took 30 minutes. "What took you so long?" were dad's only words. I confessed to my squirrel philanthropy services. Two things I recall. I did not receive a whooping. And I was told that in order to be safe and not cause my mother to worry, I needed to fully understand what the expectations were and what the consequences would be if I violated the rules and continued to pursue my "save the squirrels" project. Dad never went back on his word to deliver an attitude or behavior adjustment to my back end when needed. Then he said, "did you see the black squirrel"? Dang, how did he know that there was a black squirrel on my route? Later I found out how he knew about the black squirrel. He had gone in the opposite direction from me. I turned my back and headed home. Dad parked the car and had been following me for most of the way. When I neared home he ran through the alley to beat me home and he made it look like he was sitting there for a long time. My dad was preparing me to listen, obey, and be trusted. One day I would need to think for myself and act accordingly. That day came real soon. More on Sunday. 

My point for the day is this. We have a Heavenly Father who walks with us and watches over us. He never sleeps and when needed He corrects us. He is faithful to teach us. There is only one correct way and we need to obey Him like a scared 1st grader. 

Psalm 23:4 ESV Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil, for you are with me; Your rod and your staff comfort me.

Psalm 121: 2-4 ESV My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved. He who keeps you, will not slumber.

Revelation 3:19 As Many as I love I rebuke and chasten, Therefore be zealous and repent. 

Have a great day!

Marty





No comments:

Post a Comment