Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Engaging The Children, Thank God For Post It Notes 2/20/2024

 Good Morning. 

I just sat down with a hot cup Door County Churro Coffee and it is time to write.

Matthew 19:14 ESV But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for such belongs the kingdom of heaven."


Last Saturday evening we held an impromptu gathering after our 5:00pm  church service. We were just sending everyone home with dessert before dinner. It was nice to see everyone enjoying a root beer float. It was a simple, no fuss, no brainer form of fellowship. 

We have had the pleasure of enjoying the company of a young man attending our Saturday service. He has four children and he has been bringing them with him on Saturdays. We don't have child care during the service. Our flock averages an age of 50 and above. That might even be closer to 60 and above. These children range in ages of 2-11. I have to say that they are some of the best behaved kids I have ever witnessed. 

Back to the root beer. Once I was finished with a few duties that need to be done each week, I joined the dessert crowd. I saw the young man at a table sitting with his children so I decided to join them. I talk to the young fella quite often. I made it a point to try and engage the children. This is not easy for me to do. I just don't know what to say to kids and I am often seen as old and probably crabby. But I gave it a shot and was surprised as to how they responded. It seemed to me to be like and interrogation session. I asked questions and they answered politely. I noticed their Bibles were with them. We started talking about the Bibles and verses. The conversation turned more lively and they started talking about different passages of Scripture. The youngest girl started reciting the 23rd Psalm for us. It was an amazing and great job. Once the wheels of fellowship started turning, it was a conversation I will never forget. We made some plans for the future, for our two families to get together. 

I stand amazed as to how God answered my prayers. I had been praying for something to say, when I noticed how they had marked passages of  Scripture with Post It notes. Once I asked what the notes were for, they were happy to explain. I never thought I would be grateful for post it notes. 

My thought for the day. Showing kindness to a child does not take a big effort. But the dividends are precious memories. 

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment