Saturday, April 30, 2022

Something To Hold On To. Part Two 4/30/2022

 Good Morning,

The old wind is blowing this morning. A fire is in the hearth and it is slowly warming up the house. A big cup of Door County Lighthouse Blend Coffee is warming me up from the inside and not it is time to write. 

My day began with prayer and laughter. As I let our two Springer Spaniels outside the first things they both saw was two rabbits grazing in our grass. Both dogs young and old started to chase the rabbits. Nine out of ten times the rabbits will just flee under the fence and leave the two dogs looking confused. Not this morning! The rabbits ran a figure eight in the yard in opposite directions, When they crossed near each other we almost had a rabbit and dog collision. The rabbits went unscathed to graze elsewhere, but our two hounds bounce off of each other like something from a cartoon. 

My goal for the next two days is to give us something to hold on to during these uncertain times. We will explore the 23rd Psalm a few verses at a time. 

Psalm 23:1-3 The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want. 

2. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 

3. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness, for His name's sake.

In verse 1. The sweetest word in the phrase is "My" Jesus is the Shepherd to the whole world. But the word my is very personal.  David says this in simple terms. If he would be a shepherd to no one else, he is shepherd to me. He cares for me, watches over me and preserves me. I shall not want, is the rest of that verse and lets us know that all my needs are supplied by the Lord which allows me to be content. It helps me to not desire more than My Shepherd gives to me.

Verse 2 paints a picture.  It can be said like this, Sheep do not lie down easily and will not unless four conditions are met. Because they are timid, they will not lie down if they are afraid. Because they are social animals, they will not lie down if there is friction among the sheep. If flies or parasites trouble them, they will not lie down . Finally, sheep are nervous about food, or hungry, they will not lie down, Rest comes because the shepherd has dealt with fear, friction, flies and famine.  (P Keller)

He leads me beside still waters. Most sheep really do  not see very well. When they are thirsty and hear rushing water or smell it they are apt to run to it, and jump in. The wool absorbs the water and weighs them down and the rushing water carries them away and they drown. God will always lead us away from the fast waters the world offers and point us to only what is good for us. We are dependent upon the shepherd to guide us.

He restores my soul. My thought on this .I believe we can apply the word repent to this verse, He restores my soul to it's original purity that at times grows foul and black with sin, for what good is it to have green pastures and a black soul. No peace can be found where sin rests.

I hope this provides some comfort for all of us today.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment