Monday, April 4, 2022

Dad! My Shirt Flew Out Of The Window! 4/4/2022

 Good Morning,

The day began awhile ago with a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee and a smile. 

I don't know why, but this mind came alive with a memory from the past that I think about from time to time. My daughter and I were spending a week of vacation together back when she was about four years old. It was a hot summer day and we were traveling from the Wisconsin Dells after spending a few days there enjoying the attractions. We were back on the road to my parents house in Northern Michigan when this took place.

Thus, says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgements, show kindness and mercy to one another.

At that time my mode of transportation was a vintage Dodge Ram Charger. That is a nice way of saying "Old run down vehicle". But there we were dad and daughter on our way to see Nana and Papa. The old vehicle did not have air conditioning  and once again I will say this, it was a "hot day". Kristy decided that the front seat was not her choice for a comfortable ride. Although the truck was equipped with seat belts, they weren't mandatory. So when she requested to sit in the back with the windows open and the ac set at 65 miles per hour, I agreed. I thought she might fall asleep in the back, lay down and we would get there without me hearing "Dad? When will we be there? Are we getting closer? Dad my water is hot, can I have another cold one?" Bottled water wasn't really a thing back then. We had a Thermos brand water jug I had filled with ice and  some cups to dispense it into. I think Kristy just liked dispensing the water and splashing some cold water on herself. She never did fall asleep. 

Her next question was "Dad, are you hot"? My reply was "yes, all of me"? Then came her odd request. "Dad I have an undershirt on, can I take off my top shirt? I think it would be cooler for me" My reply was "sure". We were still 2 hours away from our destination and a swim in the lake. Well, with the wind blowing and Kristy twirling her shirt in the air while in the back seat I figured I had bought some time before the next barrage of questions came about. We continued traveling along when the statement I will not forget came out. "Dad I think you need to turn this "truck around". "Why do I need to turn around?"  "Because my shirt flew out of the window," "Kristy! It's an old shirt, you have plenty of others to wear". "But dad it is my most favoritist shirt and I need it." Well with the statement that slaughtered the English language,  I turned around and headed back looking for her shirt. We found it on the side of the road about a mile back. I asked Kristy how her shirt flew out of the window. The reply floored me. "It has a mind of it's own Dad and it just went out the window while I was drying it?" 

There was no winning this one. I smiled and laughed it off, knowing that it would be stored in my memory vault for a long long time. 

My point for the day is this. Sometimes as parents we just need to listen to find out what is important to our kids. What we may think is trivial is a big deal to them. And at that moment it might be the crisis of the day and there is a reason behind their urgency. 

When we arrived by Nana and Papa and the hugs began, came the explanation. "Nana I was drying my shirt in the truck and it flew out of the window. But Dad recued it. Can we wash it? It is my most favoritist one that you bought for me"! 

Now I knew what the big deal of the day was all about. It was Nana's turn to rescue the shirt and that shirt meant a lot to my four year old. Kristy still uses that term. I can't even say it let alone spell it, but you get the picture. So for today, what is a big deal to others might not be a big deal to you. But be polite and listen. If possible help them with their dilemma or celebrate their joy with them. You might have something special to store in you memory vault. Tomorrow I will be writing about a request to play catch while driving! 

Love to all. 

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment