Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Go Deep And I Will Throw You A Pass 4/5/2022

 Good Morning,

A day is set before me to get some work done and make it home in time to feed the dogs. I am ready to face the day with some prayer and a hot mug of Door County Mocha Mint Coffee.

Proverbs 5:18. may your fountains be blessed. Rejoice with the wife of your youth. 


Many years ago I was traveling to my parents home from our house in Wisconsin to their place in Upper Michigan. It was usually about a five hour trip and the trip was not all that entertaining. For one reason or another my brother's youngest son was keeping Uncle Marty company on the ride to see Nana and Papa. He wasn't all that old, but old enough to have a crush on Hillary Duff who at that time was known as Lizzie McGuire. Once we hit the road, our nephew Matt opened his back pack and produced "some stuff to hold us over" until we stopped for breakfast. He had Gatorade, gummy bears and sour candy in that bag as well as the latest Lizzie McGuire CD. I found out later that the Gatorade bottle had two purposes. You drank the liquid and then when you had to pee you peed into the bottle. His dad would never stop for bathroom breaks on the way up to Michigan. I ruined Matt's day by stopping for gas and a rest room.

Matt asked if we could listen to Lizzie and before I could answer he had slipped the CD into the dash and we were serenaded by Miss Duff. I am no music critic but after two hours of Lizzie I needed a change and my young companion was sleeping in the front seat. I went to turn on the radio and all of a sudden without even opening his eyes, I heard. "Hey I was listening to that." I excused my rudeness and went back to listening to Lizzie. 

About an hour later Matt was wide awake and hit me with a barrage of questions about everything and anything. I did my best to answer his many probes for information. He reopened his back back and took out a football. The next question was a doozie. "Hey Uncle Marty. Want to play catch?" He wanted to toss the ball back and forth while I was driving. My better judgement talked us out of that idea. But Matt, the deep thinker said. "We can pull over and throw the ball a little, so you aren't driving." I thought that was a better idea. So when he stepped outside of the truck and I had the football and I told him to run a deep pass pattern and I would throw him a bomb. He was running and I kept telling him to go deeper and when he was about 50 yards away, I tucked the ball under my arm and started getting back into the truck. That kid thought I was going to leave him there. He came running back as fast as he could and jumped into the truck. He and I laughed about that stunt for quite awhile. He never asked me to play catch again while driving. 

Matt will be getting married soon and it will be a great day. My thought for today is this. He and is wife will travel on to a new adventure together and life gets busy. My hope is that they will always take time to play catch and enjoy the ride God has blessed them with. 

Have a great day. 

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment