Monday, April 11, 2022

Fond Memories 4/11/2022

 Good Morning Everyone. 

I am headed off to work soon and I have a little bit of a trip ahead of me. So it's quick to write. Quick to drink a  hot cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee and then get home for a nice dinner with my family.


Today is my mother's birthday. She passed away some years ago and for me it seemed to be a little early in life for that to happen. But God called her home and she enjoys the company of some relatives and Jesus . In my daily dribble I often quote my parents, but more so my Dad than my mother. 

One quote sticks with me to this day and my Mom meant every word of what she said. One day after pulling quite the shenanigan I was still drunk and I was singing Jesus loves me. I showed up to church hammered and Mom was not happy at all. I quote her word for word. "I am glad Jesus loves you, because no one else does."

I had finally pushed her too far. It was many years later and that statement bothered me to no end. I had turned over a new leaf and was a little more respectable. Yet the words I love you never crossed her lips toward me again. I thought about it and I realized I had never said I was sorry for the incident on top of many more incidents. I spent some time with my Mom when she was visiting her prodigal son and she and I went to church one night. I was leading the youth group at that time and I wanted to apologize to her in front of my wife and the youth group. I wanted to teach the kids a lesson in asking to be forgiven. When I apologized my mother accepted it and said this. "I forgave you a long time ago. I love you Son." 

So as I think about her today, my advice is this. If you have been the Prodigal or you have something against your folks, run to them and get things straight before God calls you or them home. Make sure to have fond memories and not ones of pain and guilt. I will be celebrating her birthday today. And in her memory I baked some of her "Nana Buns." Another fond memory.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment