Saturday, July 3, 2021

Making The Wrong Cut 7/3/2021

 Good Morning,

The day began with a prayer of thanks and a hot cup of Door County Christmas Coffee. I wish I could share a cup with all of you, maybe someday. Oh yes I am a dreamer.

James 3:18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace, by those who make peace. 

Throughout the years I have had to use my pocket knife to cut things loose from other things. I actually had to cut myself loose from fishing line that was left in the water by some careless fisherman. I was the lucky one who found it and who knows how, but it wrapped around my waders as I was setting my decoys in a lake on a cold November morning while duck hunting. 

My pocket knife is always kept sharp and ready to use. I would be lying if I said that I never accidently cut myself a few times with that same knife. The day I was tangled in that mess of decoys and fishing line, I was cutting below the water line and could not see everything I was cutting. I could have easily missed my intended target and cut into my waders. Somehow I did not and the story is history from there on out. 

I am still recovering from surgery to repair some damages to my abdomen. My hernias needed repairs. I sought out a board certified surgeon to cut open my belly and make the repairs. I am a guy who likes to do most everything myself. I just could not imagine me with my sharp knife cutting away on my belly and then expecting good results. I only have one stomach and to trust myself to cut into it and fix it would be one of the dumbest things I have ever done. 

You are asking yourself right now, "So what is the point"? Here it is. From time to time I have had to make life adjustments. Quit a job, not take a job, break up with a girlfriend, date someone, or not date someone, sell a truck and drive a sub compact car, hurt others like they hurt me or not. Some things needed to be cut out of my life. But as with my waders it is best not to just cut deep and wide without regarding the hidden or costly impact of the cut. We can cut too far and be knee deep in hurt and consequences,  not easily fixed or fixable at all. 

So before I make any cuts in my life I always make sure I am following God's lead and not my own emotions. Emotions should never be followed. I believe they are used by Satan to assist us in making huge mistakes. I follow the lead of our Lord who promoted physical healing, spiritual and emotional healing. I let Him interpret my actions to being hurt or misunderstood and let Him guide me through some possible moves needed to be made.

Notice this. My surgeon opened my stomach up made the repairs and yes they are still painful. However he did not remove my stomach. He cut only so much with the intentions of healing the relationship I was having with my stomach. He instituted repairs which are painful, but the open wounds are healing now day by day. My wife and a few friends are very capable people within the medical field. Notice I did not let them do the cutting on me. I needed an expert. I needed a surgeon. Not someone with good intentions and a butter knife. 

So before anyone cuts into their emotions, I would recommend, they consult the Great Physician for guidance on whether to cut and hope, or to cut in all the right places and lay a pathway to healing. You never want to make the wrong cut, or cut too much away.

Marty

 


No comments:

Post a Comment