Friday, July 2, 2021

Just Plain Foolish When We Blame Others. 7/2/2021

 Good Morning,

Day 2 of July and my celebration of Christmas in July has me drinking a hot cup of Door County White Christmas Coffee. 

Today takes me down the road of looking for common sense in people. Everyone does something dumb now and then, but it is people who exhibit common sense afterwards who benefit from silly mistakes. They take ownership of the mistake and learn from it. They don't run to the lawyers to see if they can sue someone for what to me is common sense. 

Genesis 3:13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, "what is this you have done"? The woman said' "The serpent deceived me and I ate"?

Example #1. I live in an area that receives it's fair share of winter weather. The roads and sidewalks can be covered in snow or ice. Most people can listen to the weather forecasts or look outside to see mounds of snow and know that wearing high heal shoes in that weather is an accident waiting to happen. We do have laws that require businesses to make sure they keep the approaches and driveways clear. But in some storms they just can't keep up. Then along comes Sally Swift in her high heels and takes a spill. She shatters an ankle and then sues for compensation. Common sense did not reign in her mind when she chose her footwear.

Example #2  When I order coffee I expect it to be hot, unless specified to be an ice coffee. Unless the server drops the coffee on me or throws it at me, I believe  that I am responsible for the drink once it is given to me.  If I spill it or it is too hot to drink, well that's on me. " Literally"

Example #3 If we don't read the directions or use a product for it's intended use you own the outcomes of misuse. Not the manufacturers of the product. You can't use paint to wash windows and expect to see through the windows. Glue never works good as paint or hair gel.

Example #4 Most cars have the shifter selectors labeled. The Owners manuals clearly spell out P as park, N as neutral, D as drive and R as reverse. I think even the goofiest person get's this one. But to assume R means race and then take off with a heavy foot on the gas, crashing through your neighbors home isn't a reason to sue the manufacturer for not saying in the owners manual that R does not stand for RACE.

Example #5 During these hot spells in the land, leaving children or pets in a car, being blanketed in smothering heat and thinking the kids or pets will survive while you stand in line for something is ludicrous. Saying "I was only gone for ten minutes" is just plain foolish. Blaming the local news for not getting the word out that heat kills is not on them. 

We are a society who wants to take the focus of our actions and place it on others. Shirking our ownership for our silly mistakes is a sign of immaturity and is a sin. Eve in Genesis 3:13 wanted to shift the blame for her eating of the forbidden fruit to the serpent who deceived her. I ask, who ate the fruit?  She is responsible for her actions. Adam later tried to shift the blame to Eve. He did not step up and accept the blame for being a bad leader of the family.

Let's get real and look to accept the blame when it is ours to accept. If possible, learn to laugh at yourself, and quit to be so quick to head to court. 

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment