Friday, July 9, 2021

In For The Long Haul 7/9/2021

 Good Morning, 

Our portion of the world is enjoying a cool morning. The sun seems a little slow today. My cup of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee is steaming next to me and it is time to write.

Ruth 1:16:17 But Ruth said, " Don't force me to leave you; Don't make me go home. Where you go, I go. Where you live I will live. Your people are my people. Your God, is my god. Where you die, I will die also and be buried there, so help me God, not even death will come between us. 

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for us and one that has already been a blessing. Let me explain how a day that hasn't happened yet can be a blessing. 

Church mates and dear friends of ours will be celebrating 60 years of marriage tomorrow. They will be renewing their vows in our Saturday night church service and we have a celebration planned afterwards. A few months ago I mentioned this to other friends at church and I said, I would like to have a little dinner or something for them after church the service. The idea received unanimous support and little by little the day has become reality. I like to come up with ideas like this, but all I had to do was mention it and next thing I know the ball was rolling. I had very little to do with it since except to work on the vow renewals and combine it with my sermon for tomorrow night. In fact I actually started receiving a few "Honey Do's" from my wife. "Sir", when I get called sir at home it is not out of respect. It is a way to put me at attention and say "yes Mam" and receive my orders for whatever I am doing next. My one and only other part in this was to make the meat ahead of time. The menu for the evening has us dining on smoked pork. The meat was smoked with cherry wood. I accomplished my part of the dining feast.

Can you see the blessing here. This couple is so loved and admired for the way they have lived, worshipped and inspired others for many years. They have been commented on by several younger people in the church as "I want to be like them now and especially when I am older". This couple always compliments each other in public, and holds their marriage in the dearest of terms. They both love the Lord and serve actively within missions and charity organizations. They are generous and whatever they do, they do fully and well. I have been blessed to be scolded by them, loved by them, and encouraged by them. To see this day come together has been a blessing to watch the love in action.

60 years ago when they said "I do" they committed to "till death do us part". They were in it for the "Long Haul". 

Today might seem like it has no hope for your marriage. Problems galore surround you, sin crept in, or you just can't seem to find the spark. If at all possible, replace despair with hope. Let love abound, first with God and the love for Him will trickle like a stream back into your marriage. Be an inspiration to yourself and those around you. Celebrate each year together. Be in it for the Long Haul.

God bless,

Marty

2 comments:

  1. It is a real shame that the divorce rate is as high as it is. Pray that couples take their vows and then keep them!!! Bill NeedEncouragement.com

    ReplyDelete