Monday, July 12, 2021

Cleaning The Garage And Seeing Some History

 Good Morning,

I am ready for this day to begin. My Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee is at my side and I am ready to write.

James 5:3 your silver and gold are corroded and their corrosion will be a witness against you.

Continuing the never ending battle to declutter my garage is a task that I really do not like. I spent 45 minutes in the dungeon of I might need that some day, and what was I thinking when I bought this? Then I walked the mine field of should I toss this, give it to someone or save it for another twenty years?

Some of you might know the feeling and you battle with the desire to keep and hoard things or declutter!

In my quest to see what was behind the antifreeze container was a small blue pump type oil can. I rarely use any oil that is not dispensed as an aerosol now. I removed that same can from my grandfather's garage back in 1977 when he died and we started to empty the place out. Grandpa would oil the hinges on his boat rack on the top of his car. The rack allowed him to take a small row boat from home to a lake by having the boat rest on a rack on top of his car. Grandpa always treated his cars like a pickup truck. He was a one vehicle type of guy and said, "I can't have grandma ride in a truck. Trucks aren't for ladies". 

I have used that can now and then, always bringing grandpa to mind when doing so. But here is the point, grandpa told me that oil reduces friction and saves hinges from rusting up. While explaining that he also told me that from time to time you have to make sure a marriage is oiled and not getting rusty. He explained that by not making grandma ride in a truck, he was keeping the marriage running straight and without friction. "I would love a truck, but only have one stall in the garage. Grandma needs to know that she is more important than my fishing. Remember that boy!'

Needless to say, the can is still in the garage. Last night when my wife said she was going for her walk, I asked if she wanted company. Her resounding yes, let me know that I had just oiled the relationship. Don't let corrosion creep into a marriage. 

I learned a lesson last night by recalling some history.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment