Thursday, July 22, 2021

God Makes Every Day 7/22/2021

 Good Morning,

My cup of Door County Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee is helping to burn off the haze in my mind. As I look out of the window on this cool Thursday morning the sky is filled with haze caused from wild fires 1000 miles away in Canada. My prayers are with those folks fighting the fires in Canada and the United States.

Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it. 

Last night we had a small family birthday celebration. It was modest, yet it was a real nice time. We went to eat at a restaurant in my wife's hometown. We didn't have a traditional birthday cake, but each of us ordered a birthday dessert. Cheese cake and carrot cake were on the menu and I for one cannot pass up a piece of carrot cake. It was delicious. If my diet would allow for it and my doctor as well,  I would eat cake every day. 

I will try to put this together for you quickly. A birthday celebration, with a dinner, family, and the cake, is a cake kind of day for me. The entire day was perfect, including the 8 hours I worked. Who doesn't like to have days like this?

To keep this going with the food analogy I choose broccoli to describe a bad day. I am not a fan of broccoli at all. Cooked, raw, and whatever you put on top of it, the result for me is this. It's still broccoli! I always eat what is put in front of me, just to be polite and politically correct. But to be honest if I can avoid broccoli I will skip a whole pizza buffet if I have to eat any broccoli. I think you get the point.

Some of our days spent here in this world are cake kind of days. Holidays are like that, until one day they aren't and Christmas is a broccoli day. The divorce went through yesterday. Grandma was placed into a nursing home. The test results came back and that ugly word cancer was brought to the table of the day. 

This is when no matter how much we would like to avoid the "broccoli" we can't. God made this day and set the table before us and He is still on His throne. Despite the taste of the day, just as eating our veggies is good for us, even when the veggie dish includes broccoli, we can and should strive to find something in the day that was ordained for us to enjoy and move in that direction. Maybe the cancer test results will cause you to reach out to a loved one and patch up a dispute that should have ended years ago. 

On these dark days you place more trust in God to carry you through. More time with God is never a broccoli day. God is not on holiday and He is still driving the train. 

I leave you with this thought. Isaiah 49:13 Sing O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! For The Lord has comforted His people. 

Know this, you are loved, and if you ever need prayer, or a kind word leave a comment and you will be prayed for.

Marty

2 comments: