Sunday, July 18, 2021

Going Two Miles? 7/18/2021

 Good Morning, 

To say that this morning in my part of the world is beautiful, would be an understatement . The sun is bright, the temperature is perfect and my Door County Pecan Pie Coffee is steaming next to me. 

Matthew 5:41-42  "Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two, Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away."

Back in the time of Jesus the Roman soldiers could and did often request or order Jewish citizens to carry their personal load for one mile. With nothing more than a harsh command they could stop a person from doing what they needed to do and compel them to carry take their gear and carry it for one mile. 

In this passage Jesus is saying to give more. Carry the load at the end of one mile for another mile and do it with joy and grace. 

I witnessed this yesterday, when a friend of mine had a vision of inclusion. He had planned to take a future groom and some family members out to shoot clay targets. I was invited and was more than happy to be included and participate. During the two weeks leading up to this event, he let me know that he was reaching out to someone in that family to participate and in doing so it might ruffle some feathers. In short there is a some hurt  from the past  that doesn't exactly make inclusiveness easy to do. He flew through a little flack and was questioned on his reasoning and intentions. 'It is the right thing to do" was his answer and he held to his convictions. 

Since I was there I can tell you what happened. The atmosphere was one of acceptance, fun, and brotherly love for all who were there. My friend did not have to organize anything for all the guys to do, while a bridal shower was taking place. But he did and in being inclusive and obedient to God who requests us to be hospitable he went the second mile in my mind. I am happy to say that I witnessed Godly love in action. I would repeat it again without hesitation. 

Are you a "Two Miler" or obedient to 1 mile and that is good enough?  On a long day and when you are tired, do you extend yourself to a need even when no one requested you to help? Can you see a need and do more than just pray and hope it all works out for that person. I cannot pass by litter in our neighborhood without picking it up. It's not in front of our property, but I just saw it. I believe I now own the duty of picking it up. I could give examples of people who go through our church where they just attended the service. Weekly they assist me without asking to lock up and turn out the lights. It's not their responsibility, and given the time of our Saturday Evening service, they probably have dinner on their minds. Are you a "Two Miler".

Have a great day. Walk on!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment