Friday, July 23, 2021

Dad's Strong Hand 7/23/2021

 Good Morning,

Friday has reached out to us and I can say Amen to that. I am looking forward to spending some time with friends and family tonight. I just poured a very hot cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee and now it is time to write. 


Psalm 59:17 O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.

Psalm 121;13 He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.

My life has been on adventure after another for sure. Back in the 70's while I was a sophomore in high school, one of my favorite things to do was to hang out with my buddies and just be stupid. We would sit and talk and then shoot pool at this one fellas house. One night in particular we were participating in more nonsense by throwing ping pong balls at each other. The host of the event had an older brother who really was too old to hang around with us. He came down to the basement where we had congregated and started participating in the "nonsense". We unloaded about 50 ping pong balls on him in a relentless barrage of feather lite missiles.  He got a little angry at us and threw a heavy object my way and it struck me right between the eyes. It was like taking a fastball pitched by Nolan Ryan right in the head. I went down to my knees and was out cold for a couple of seconds. When I came to and opened my eyes I was having trouble seeing, especially from my right eye. I knew this was trouble and said to my other buddy, "get me home please". I just lived across the street and it seemed like that trip was 100 miles instead of 100 yards. I was kind of going in and out and and I just wanted to get home. Once there my friend took me in the house and quickly called on my dad for help. By this time one eye was swollen shut and I could not see out of it,  the other wasn't but I could not see from that eye. I had lost my sight. I was starting to panic and that is when I felt Dad's strong hand on my arm and he said I have you now. Dad wasn't very big in stature, but at one time he was as strong as anyone. He picked me up and carried me to the car, reassuring me I would be ok.  Long story short, the left eyesight came back within two days after the swelling went down. The right eye took two weeks to come back and come back slowly. The blow had caused internal bleeding in the eye. But it all worked out and I have had some issues with the eye over the years, but nothing that keeps me from seeing the keyboard as I write to all of you.

My point is this. I was scared, afraid, and worried. I could not see, but felt the strong hand of my dad on me. He was steady and calm and he spoke soft words of reassuring comfort. As he was driving me to the hospital, he would tell me where we were and how much longer it would take to reach medical help. That night, he never left my side. 

My dad has been gone now for a few years and I miss him. But long ago I realized that God was with me in all things. Through thick and thin I always have the strong hand of God on my shoulder. You might be going through a season of strife. But you are not alone. God has his hand on you guiding you through the low valley. His words found within Scripture are reassuring and meant to comfort us in times of fear, and episodes of worry.  Reach out from the darkness that has you unable to see straight right now, and let Him call the shots. He is there with His righteous right hand. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment