Saturday, November 25, 2017

It's The Small Things 11/25/2017

Good Morning,

Today is going to be a busy day for me. I decided to start the day off with a cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee. Complimenting the coffee is a bowl of maple oatmeal loaded with dried cranberries.

Tomorrow I plan to hunt but today I need to stay at home and knock out some chores that are a bit overdue. Rene has started decorating the house for Christmas and right now our place looks like we need an intervention for hoarding. Two days from now the old home will be ready for company.



I mentioned yesterday that I was praying for a small miracle and many of you will laugh about what I was praying for. Most of the time my life is running at a "hyper speed" pace. This week was no different. Wednesday while I was changing clothes in my office and getting out of the white shirt and tie, so I could jump in the truck and travel to Northern Michigan I placed my work keys somewhere.

Now these keys have the ability to open everything in the hospital where I work. Thursday night when I arrived home from my quick trip I started unloading my travel bag I found my ID badge, my business card holder, pager and pen. My work keys were not with them. I tore that bag apart looking for the keys. They were not there. I did slip and fall on my way into the Michigan home which already has a generous helping of snow surrounding it. My mind convinced me that I probably lost them in the snow when I fell. Somehow the keys fell out. Of course I looked through the truck three or four times and found nothing. By this time I realized that this is small to some, but huge to me. There would need to be many locks changed at work. Not good! I knew it was time to pray and ask for some help from God. I was able to sleep without tossing and turning. My thought was "maybe I left them on my desk". I knew that my Administrative Assistant had a spare key to my office. I probably left them there on the desk. I had convinced myself that if the keys weren't there I would be driving back to Michigan to sift through piles of snow. I knew where I fell.

When I arrived to work yesterday and opened my office door the keys were not there. I was very disappointed but continued to pray.  I swore those keys had legs. I came home and the Christmas decorating began and it took my mind off of the keys. Just before bed last night I was looking in the closet and staring at my travel bag. A still small voice told me to look in the bag again. This was a ridiculous idea. But I had been in prayer and I know God's voice and what could this hurt?  I picked up the bag and looked in again, felt around and there was nothing. I threw the bag back in the closet and when it landed I heard the sound of keys jingle. I picked that bag back up and shook it. Yes, I heard the sound of keys. Back in a little pocket within the bag, a pocket I never use, and really did not know was there, the keys had landed for safe keeping. I assume they landed there when I fell. My prayers had been answered.

Two lessons were learned once again. Nothing is too small to pray for. But while we are praying we need to be open to listening for God. Had I not gone to that bag one more time, it would have been an expensive issue. I would not have used that bag for a couple of weeks. It would have been too late. Listening is the other half of prayer. I have attached three Bible verses to compliment this real life story.

Jeremiah 33:3New International Version (NIV)
‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’
 
 Philippians 4:6-8New King James Version (NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
 
Isaiah 30:20-21New International Version (NIV)
20 Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. 21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

There is a sermon in this lesson and it will be delivered tonight at church. It's not too often that I change my message the day of, but tonight is one of those times.

Have a great day.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment