Friday, February 3, 2017

Winter Camp Theme 2/3/2017

Good Morning,

Friday was seen in my glasses today. I hope it slows down for me so I can catch it. I will be starting my day with a hold over from December. My mug will be filled with Door County Christmas Coffee and made extra strong.

Colossians 2:6-7New International Version (NIV)
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness



When I was still doing youth work at church it was customary for us to take the teens to "Winter Camp" . The camp was offered to high school students through their church youth groups. The location was in the Northern Woods of Dunbar Wisconsin at a small Bible college. It was always a good time of Spiritual growth and bonding. There was so much to do inside and outside as well as the great gatherings of praise and worship. At night there was time carved out for a lesson to the teens and their leaders.

We would eat breakfast in the college cafeteria. On one of the walls you could see in very large print Colossians 2:6-7. For some reason those verses have stayed with me and when I hear them I always think about the winter camps at the college.

Most of all I am reminded that we are to live free from sin, strong in the Lord, strengthened in faith, and to be thankful for Jesus in our lives. There is a whole lot to behold in that short passage. It truly points you to what is important and what is not. I sort of envied those college students for being able to attend school there and be held to that theme. I thought about how nice it was for them to see Scripture stenciled in their dining hall and having to walk under it every day.

We can do the same thing though in the comfort of our homes. We can subscribe to reading a Bible verse each day before starting out. There are some web sites that will send you one daily on your computer or smart phone. We have the power to set our own atmosphere.

Now the thing to do would be to start the day by reading, praying and listening. So start your day. I gave you your first verse!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment