Sunday, February 12, 2017

Talk Back Trembling Lips. 2/12/2017

Good Morning,


It was one long  night at work. So before I grab some sleep I will write down my thoughts and dream of a cup of Door County Chocolate Raspberry Coffee. Later I will be up and working on a small project that I started last week. I went to church last night and this message came to me while there.


I have heard a lot of people throughout the years tell me how they say they can't believe there is a God because of things that happened in their lives or in the lives of others. Some of them actually said that they told God to go to hell and wrote Him off.

Now, my faith and experiences with God tell me that He is real, He exists, and He is everywhere, despite the fact that I can't visibly see Him. I often wonder how those same people would react if they had a face to face conference with God. Job decided that God was unjust and Job wanted an audience with God. What Job received was not what He thought it would be.

In his suffering, Job had charged God with acting unjustly. He had pleaded for an opportunity to appear in court with Him. When God finally speaks, His comments are not what we would have expected Him to have said. God primarily speaks of the awesome acts of creation, the awesome creatures in it and His care for all that He has made. In doing so, He shows how little understanding Job has of the big picture. How could Job argue his case with God as an equal? If God is so attuned to His creation, how could He be unaware of Job's suffering? Job comes to perceive God in a way he never had before! This is the longest conversation recorded between God and man. God gives Job quite the education in chapters 38-39 in the book of Job. It is chapter forty when we see Job's first reply to the audience he requested with God.

Job 40New King James Version (NKJV)
40 Moreover the Lord answered Job, and said:
“Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him?
He who rebukes God, let him answer it.”

Job’s Response to God

Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“Behold, I am vile;
What shall I answer You?
I lay my hand over my mouth.
Once I have spoken, but I will not answer;
Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.”

God’s Challenge to Job

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
“Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer Me:
“Would you indeed annul My judgment?
Would you condemn Me that you may be justified?
Have you an arm like God?
Or can you thunder with a voice like His?
10 Then adorn yourself with majesty and splendor,
And array yourself with glory and beauty.
11 Disperse the rage of your wrath;
Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him.
12 Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low;
Tread down the wicked in their place.
13 Hide them in the dust together,
Bind their faces in hidden darkness.
14 Then I will also confess to you
That your own right hand can save you.
15 “Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you;
He eats grass like an ox.
16 See now, his strength is in his hips,
And his power is in his stomach muscles.
17 He moves his tail like a cedar;
The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit.
18 His bones are like beams of bronze,
His ribs like bars of iron.
19 He is the first of the ways of God;
Only He who made him can bring near His sword.
20 Surely the mountains yield food for him,
And all the beasts of the field play there.
21 He lies under the lotus trees,
In a covert of reeds and marsh.
22 The lotus trees cover him with their shade;
The willows by the brook surround him.
23 Indeed the river may rage,
Yet he is not disturbed;
He is confident, though the Jordan gushes into his mouth,
24 Though he takes it in his eyes,
Or one pierces his nose with a snare.

God continues His lecture to Job in chapter 41. Once again Job replies to God in chapter 42. But his tone was quite different. This is where I picture Job wetting his pants and talking through trembling lips. I am jeering him by now, yelling "you tell Him boy". Not really. Without reading I could tell you what I perceived what would happen and it did.

Job 42:1-6 New King James Version (NKJV)

Job’s Repentance and Restoration

42 Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“I know that You can do everything,
And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.
You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
Listen, please, and let me speak;
You said, ‘I will question you, and you shall answer Me.’
“I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees You.
Therefore I abhor myself,
And repent in dust and ashes.”

I wonder how a lot of big talkers would respond if they were in Job's shoes? I think we all need to remember that God hears our thoughts and words. If we remember this, wouldn't we be more respectful?  Who are we to speak that way to God or about Him?

Food for thought this Sunday, if you really think missing church isn't telling God to go stuff it.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment