Monday, February 27, 2017

The Church That Built Me 2/27/2017

Good Morning,

The weekend left me and Monday fell through my window to wake me up. I just filled my mug with Door County Amaretto Coffee and now I need to match a tie to a shirt.

Yesterday, I attended a church service at the first church I joined in my Christian journey. God blessed the church with a new building, which is much larger and more up to date. They celebrated their last service in the old building. I was invited to attend. Many memories flooded my mind while sitting there. It was great to see some old friends and remember those who have moved away or now reside in heaven.



I recalled joining the church. I was so rough around the edges that most people thought the roof would cave in because I walked in. I remember being baptized there through immersion and all the Bible studies I attended. I recalled all the personalized  mentoring and support I received. I began to recall some of the youth that I taught while there. The fond memory of my two friends who served with me in youth group,  but both went home to Jesus in the last few years caused a tear or two to run down my cheek.

I remembered the first time they called on me to pray. And then later allowing me to hold a men's prayer meeting once a month. Eventually I grew in my walk and it led me to two other churches. I served and grew at the  second church and now I am attending the third church in my journey home. I am serving there and growing. But it was the first church and the discipleship I received that instilled service and growth desires within me. For that I am forever grateful. This was the church that took me in and built me up. They taught me and readied me for my journey through this Christian life.

Philippians 1:1-6New International Version (NIV)

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
To all God’s holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons[a]:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Is your church mentoring others? Are you mentoring someone or being mentored? Are you growing in your walk? If the answer is no to the questions above you need to ask another question. That question is "why not"? In most instances you will find that it is the person who does not desire to grow and serve. If it is the church that isn't doing a good job of discipleship, then fix it or move on. Always try to fix it first.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment