Sunday, February 19, 2017

72 Years Of Marriage. Now That's An Accomplishment! 2/19/2017

Good Morning,

Today starts another decade for me. My family and friends gathered last night to celebrate the first sixty years. I was blessed to have them surround me with a roast and a toast . I am truly grateful to all who were there. This morning my coffee is Door County Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and it is plenty hot.

Mark 10:9New King James Version (NKJV)
Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”



Yesterday, we had the pleasure while out for a quick lunch to see another family gathered to celebrate 72 years of marriage. This elderly couple was what we could only assume,  surrounded by their loved ones which, seemed to have been their children, grandchildren, some great grandchildren and maybe a few friends. From where we were sitting in the restaurant we could hear a small toast given to them from someone. That's how we knew it was for their 72nd anniversary. It was a pretty large group and somehow we were just blessed enough to be able to sit near this party. From where I sat I could see this couple holding hands under the table. They both answered one question. "What was the secret to living together 72 years?  The answer was simple but yet profound. "It was our faith in God. We knew that He joined us together."

I did some quick math and knew that they were married in 1944. The world was at war then. They have seen other wars together since then. They have seen presidents come and go. Television came about during their marriage. There have been recessions. I assumed that somewhere along the way they both had a cold or possible illnesses. It looked as if they raised a family and from what I saw they were loved by old and young. They made it through all of the ups and downs in life and they were still holding hands and had the biggest smiles in the room.

A million questions filled my pea brain, but it wasn't my place to ask any of them. We were momentary observers. We witnessed a snapshot of two lives that impacted a lot of people. Their words on marriage still were impacting people, including us.  I felt like we had purchased two tickets to a random sporting event where something extraordinary happened and then knew it was going to be priceless. I almost felt like I was on holy ground.

We left and the two of us talked about how that old couple knew why they stayed together and stayed strong. Fulfilling their promise before God and acknowledging it helped them last 72 years, through all they must have encountered was a tribute to them and God who joined them together.

Enough said. How about it? Shouldn't we all just look at our spouses today and say "Thank God that He joined us together"? Then maybe those tired eyes of all of us will see each other like those two did 72 years ago and still do?

Have a great day!

Marty

2 comments: