Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Sunny Side Up 2/1/2017

Good Morning.

I started a small crock pot full of turkey soup last night and let it cook ever so slowly. Rene turned it off when she arose from bed at 3:00AM. The house smells awesome this morning. Nothing like the aroma of that turkey soup. My Door County Maple Coffee is brewing now and I soon will be filling my insulated bottle and then chase off to work.



I was blessed to have two grandmothers who both possessed the ability to cook. One could serve an Italian meal to die for. The other made her own specialty dishes, but the one my Dad and I always looked forward to when we arrived at Grandma's was some toast and fried eggs cooked in her cast iron skillet. I liked mine over easy and my Dad always had his sunny side up. He would mop up the egg yoke with his toast. Those are some memories that I will never forget. Both grandmothers had different talents and what was nice about visiting was that they both lived within 8 miles of each other. I knew before the weekend was done I would be dining on Italian food and some eggs that most restaurants would love to be able to make.

They both knew what we liked and they made sure that we would have it. What made the food best is that it was made and served with love. They both made sure that we felt special by making something we loved to eat. I was thinking about this last night and if it were possible to visit heaven for a day I would be there for breakfast and stay for dinner. I would go back home with egg yoke and pasta sauce on my shirt. I would never wash that shirt. I would ask them both to take me to see Jesus, the One who died for me. What a day that would be. I guess that will have to wait.

Both grandmothers made sure we felt special at their table. I think we could learn a lesson here. They had mastered the art of hospitality. We recently had a couple over for dinner. I was struggling with what I could make for them to eat. Rene suggested that I find out what some of their favorite things to eat would be. She thought that making their favorites would let them know that they are special to us.  She was right as usual. Both remarked how they loved German food and that it had been so long since they had eaten it. I heard the husband say "What a treat"!

Do we make those who enter our homes feel welcome? Do they see the love of Jesus in us while there. Do we cook a meal or create a fond memory? Do you go out of your way for guests?

Genesis 24:31          
And he said, "Come in, blessed of the LORD! Why do you stand outside since I have prepared the house, and a place for the camels?"

What does our treatment of our guests say about our relationship to Jesus?


Have a great day.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment