Thursday, February 2, 2017

Warm Hands, Warm Heart 2/2/2017

Good Morning,

The temperature dropped again and my attire for the morning will show it. My mug will be filled with Door County Apple Cobbler Coffee. I packed a lunch today of salad and apples. I am looking forward to lunch already.



I really do enjoy the cold weather, but I don't enjoy being cold. I like to do whatever it takes to allow me time outside even in the coldest of weather. I always say a prayer of thanks for anything that gives me warmth during the winter, like my truck, hats, long underwear, scarf, sweaters, or my mittens. I do possess gloves, but I prefer lined leather mittens. My hands are somewhat crippled up from hard work, sports and arthritis. So if anything really bothers me in the cold weather it is usually my hands.

You have heard the expression "Warm hands' cold heart". For me it is different. When I am warm during cold weather it reminds me that I am blessed to be warm. I take time to be thankful. When I cover up at night with a blanket my mother made for us, I am reminded of the love that made the blanket. I thank God for giving us our mother. When I look at the old mittens of mine and feel my hands inside as warm as toast, I thank God for my wife who bought them for me as a gift. When I sit down to some warm applesauce I am grateful for the apples God gave us.

Warm hands here also means a warm heart. I can't help but feel warm in my heart when I take time to acknowledge God for blessing me through others and providing for me. In addition He never leaves me.

Psalm 139:17-18New International Version (NIV)
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.

The cure for a cold heart is to stop thinking about what you don't have and be thankful for what you do have. Being thankful and directing praise to God takes you to a place that gives you that reassurance of love, which warms a heart and melts the ice away.

So today, count your blessings and start your heart on fire. Can you count that high?

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment