Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Nightmare Of Busyness 2/11/2017

Good Morning,

My morning will bring me to the gym after a cup of Door County Black Velvet Coffee and some orange juice.

I guess I will start this blog off rather ugly today. If you ever want to experience the rape of a relationship develop habits that make you too busy to maintain and sustain that relationship. Busyness fills calendars but fractures families. Busyness destroy our priorities.

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things will be added to you.

I was speaking with a young wife and mother this week at work. While chatting she mentioned that she was exhausted. She looked wiped out. She went on to explain how her weekends and weekdays are filled with running her kids to sporting activities and how her kids are all playing two to three sports right now. She went on to say that her husband attends one sporting event while she is at another. In addition they both work and keep up a home. The kids attend school and there is homework to do. Instead of being a family that eats meals together, it's fast food wherever and whenever it fits in and usually the whole family is not there. She told me that their home looked like a hurricane hit it at best.



And then she said it. " Church is almost impossible to get to. We are lucky to get there at Christmas". I asked "how is your marriage"? The answer I heard did not surprise me. " I don't know. Sometimes, we are too busy to know. This family is experiencing relationship rape with God, and each other.

Friends, God clearly tells us in Matthew 6:33 to put first things first. He is first. Once that priority is set He can show us the rest our priorities, especially in our families and marriages. He gives us peace in being able to say no to our kids if we have to. Basics, Basics, Basics. I remember being in high school and wanting to play in three sports, work, attend school and socialize with friends. My parents stepped in and limited it to two sports, minimal work during the school year and I had better be at church no matter what. Neither sport launched me into the pros or the Olympics. I have some medals and some awards that I have to dust now. My knees need replacements. I can only imagine what shape I would be in if they hadn't intervened.

Satan doesn't need to manifest himself as a demon and blow fire and smoke on us. He just shows us how to mess up our priorities and cave in the family just by being too busy.  He slowly walks us away from God buy convincing us that someday we will get it right. But look at all that time wasted by not building our relationships with God and family.

First things first.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment