Thursday, February 9, 2017

When The Lights Go Out 2/9/2017

Good Morning,

Turtles In A Cup from the Door County Coffee Company has filled my mug. This one is a new flavor of coffee that they just launched. From the aroma to the tongue I have to give it an A grade!



Yesterday morning, I awoke to the rumble of our electric generator starting up at 4:26 AM. It seems that something happened in the area that caused all the electricity to go out in our part of the town. We were blessed to have heat, refrigeration, and a couple lights. Now our generator powers enough for us to get by and we are truly grateful for being blessed with it. But it does not provide power to everything in the house nor to every room. I found it funny that I knew the power was out and that there wouldn't be a light in the hallway, but yet I reached for the light switch and turned it to on. Of course nothing happened. I did this several times before I became more disciplined and remembered that the power was out and no matter how many times I turned a switch on, nothing was going to happen.

You see, my brain was trained to trust the switch, because for who knows how many hundreds of times, whenever I turned the switch to the on position, our lights illuminated. I needed to re-train my brain.

The light switch is just an example of how we do things over and over and they become a habit. It took quite a few wrong turns of a dead switch to make me remember that there wasn't any power. So here is my point. If we have bad habits and seem to do them over and over again, we will continue to do them until we see them as bad, evil, stupid or ugly. Then in order to break the habit we have to switch the way we think and start replacing the bad thoughts with good ones.

A good place to start it to rid our minds of the bad, evil or ugly and replace it with good, lovely and pure.

Philippians 4:8King James Version (KJV)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Once our brain is retrained to think in a Godly way, we start to act in Godly ways. Did the light just go on for you? It did for me. Time for some better thoughts today, which will lead to better actions.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment