Tuesday, October 6, 2020

What Were We Saved From? 10/6/2020

 Good Morning,

I just finished a cup of Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee and after some thought and prayer I am ready to write. That second cup will have to wait.

This past Sunday my wife Rene and I, along with our two dogs began to take a trip to the Upper Peninsula to attend the burial of our Aunt. Preparations were made to bring stuff along to hopefully have a cookout on Sunday with family as a reunion/ memorial for her. We had made arrangements to stay over night at a resort that allows for pets. So no need to kennel the dogs. Everything seemed to be set for a great trip. We jumped into the truck and after Rene prayed for safe travels for everyone, we hit the road. 

About an hour or so from home as we started up a slight incline on the highway it felt like someone rear ended our truck. We both looked at each other and I reassured Rene that no one hit us. But it happened again. I pulled the truck over and then the idiot dash lights started flashing. We both knew that it was something mechanical with the truck. I nursed the truck to the next highway exit ramp and let it sit for awhile. We discussed the need for a tow truck and a ride home with two dogs and all of this picnic gear. The truck responded to cooling off and we then tried to make it home, but slowly. This we did, after we prayed again. We called ahead to a mechanic friend of ours and he said he would look at it right away "if we made it home". I described the issue and he seemed to know what it might be. 

We nursed the Old Ford home and to the repair emporium. Within minutes, his diagnosis was proved to be what he initially thought it was. A wiring harness had fallen and got up against the hot exhaust manifold and burned up. Later we looked at a picture and saw several bare wires that somehow managed to arc and cause the trouble when they touched. Amazingly we made it home without them arcing again and causing a fire. I can only imagine the chaos a fire would have been with two dogs on the highway or worse if there would have been some injuries. 

Then giving it a second thought we decided to regroup, take one of our newer vehicles, lighten the load and hit the road again. But I had already canceled our resort room. Low and behold that room was already filled. I could not find a kennel open on a Sunday for the dogs that wouldn't charge less than $250 for the day. We both conceded that for some reason we were to stay home and not make the burial. I had a hard time accepting this and my wife of 1000 years cried a little but she also worked very hard at trying to make the day as pleasant as could be. She knew I was hurting.  Later again as I prayed, I recalled her prayer for safety. I should have been praising God for sparing us bigger problems or injury. I also asked Him why we couldn't have just regrouped with another vehicle. It just seemed no matter what we tried, it just wasn't going to work out for us. 

Then the Holy Spirit spoke silently. 

Matthew 6:8 Your Father Knows what you need before you ask of Him.

We were being protected from something else, only God knows and maybe we will find out or we won't. I am sure there was a reason for it. Today I will mourn, yet have the perspective that Father Knows Best.

Marty


4 comments: