Saturday, October 17, 2020

Chained to Yourself 10/17/2020

 Good Morning,

Saturday arrived and I will be duck hunting today and resting later. No Door County Coffee for me yet, But there is hope for some later.

I once went to a Bastille Days celebration with my wife. There was an escape artist on the street letting people tie him up in a straight jacket and when they had him tied in as tight as they could and as secure as he could be, the artist twisted and contorted, dislocating a shoulder and bam he was out of the straight jacket. 

Photo Credit Wikipedia

He challenged anyone to see if they could do it. I volunteered and before you all start laughing about me being in a straight jacket, just STOP! Two people laced and latched me up. I could barely breathe and they gave me three minutes to get out. As hard as I tried, I could not budge the restraints and dislocating anything was not an option.  After three minutes the artist and the crowd all started walking away leaving me behind and helpless. Even my wife walked away. The joke was on me and I must have looked like I was in a panic or they knew I was plotting my revenge, 

But the experience has a lesson to it. By nature we are not necessarily forgiving people. Our nature wants to hold grudges and plan revenge. Our heart begins to feel chained to hurt, anxiety and anger. We could at times seem unapproachable. Really, how many people walk up and approach people in a straight jacket? The inability to forgive, chains us to ourselves and we fail to love those around us. This is especially true when we are wronged over and over by the same person.

Matthew 18:21-22 The Peter came and said to Him, "Lord how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus replied to him, "I do not say to you. up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

The number Jesus gave to us is meant to represent an infinite number, Think about it. If God forgave you up to 700 times, you would be on a fast ride to hell. God forgives and it isn't a finite number. He doesn't keep a score. Neither should we with other people. Take yourself out of the chains or straight jacket you are in. Forgive freely.

Marty

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes forgiveness doesn't seem to be an option but it is the only option.

    ReplyDelete