Saturday, October 3, 2020

Picking The Apples 10/3/2020

 Good Morning,

It is a happy day for me. The opening day of duck hunting season is upon me. I will be out chasing some ducks with two worthy companions and my old faithful dog Gibbs. The puppy will be staying home for this one. Maybe next week will find him out with me for a short hunt. My trusty Thermos bottle filled with Door County Maple Coffee went with me as usual.

Yesterday my wife Rene and I finished picking the last of the apples from our trees. It seems like a long time ago when the apple blossoms showed in the spring,

Rene had picked a bunch, but needed help with the ones at the tops of the trees. She had been on a ladder for awhile but she decided it was in her best interest to have me get the rest. Rene said that the temptation to step and reach further than she should was just getting hard to ignore. She had been on the top of the ladder, which is a big NO and reaching way too far beyond safe limits. 

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful and will not let you be tempted beyond your ability to endure. But with every temptation He will also provide a way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

I had to agree with her. I found myself reaching out further and further instead of moving the ladder. I said to myself that moving the ladder was the safe thing to do and before I gave into the temptation I just moved the ladder as needed. 

God was using that small voice within to get me to do the safe thing. He gave me a way out of the temptation. I was reminded that my dad died from a fall from a ladder. I believe the Holy Spirit was saying "you know better. You can avoid an injury. Don't be lazy. "

Last night the house was filled with the smell of spicy apple sauce cooking. Yes, it was some of those apples we picked without incident,

Friends none of us is tempted beyond what we can bear. We just have to heed the advice of the Holy Spirit.  Apple pie anyone?

Marty

3 comments:

  1. I need that verse in my life every day, it is in my starting gate.
    "I need Thee every hour"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad coincidence Marty, my dad fell off of a ladder while working at the Labavitch house (An orthodox Jewish facility) on Kenwood and North avenue in 1993. He broke his back and that was the initiation of problems that lead to his death.

    ReplyDelete