Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Old Boots And Preservative 10/13/2020

 Good Morning,

Today is a chilly one in this part of the world. I foresee a fire being made pretty soon in the fireplace today. My Door County Turtles In A Cup Coffee isn't hot enough to take away the chill today. 

The other day I was looking at my old chore boots and they needed some preservative oil. I purchased these boots 10 years ago and they have served me well. I probably will retire them a year from now and bring home a new pair. But for this year they will be well oiled and used often. 

I thought about the cycle of life for my boots. I learned a long time ago from my grandfather that a boot should be taken care of.  So when I purchased the boots, before I wore them anywhere they received 3 coats of boot oil. They became softer and were well waterproofed. 

Cycle one of the boots, they were preserved before they went out.  It led me to this thought. We should teach our children about God starting at a very young age. They should learn to pray and learn to love God. Preserve early.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

My boots always receive a few coats of oil throughout the year. Now for boots that is enough. Depending on the activities they have been in, I might need to clean them and apply more. This makes them last. They are ready to go out again and again. So my next thought was this. If my boots are ready to go, shouldn't I be oiled up and ready to meet the harsh world?  This comes by preserving my thoughts and actions by being covered in the Word of God. This is the middle cycle of the boots.

Psalm 119 :11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against thee. 

As you can see from the picture the boots are worn and next year they won't be with me. But they have work to do for another 365 days, I will treat them as if they were new and oil them to preserve them. This reminded me of the last cycle in life. They need to keep working until they can't. There is value in finishing strong. My soul is preserved by my faith in Jesus Christ. But until the Lord calls me home, I need to keep working in some type of ministry. 

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 

Food for thought!

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment