Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Day In The Sun 5/7/2020

Good Morning,

My choice of beverage this morning is Door County Inn Keepers Blend with a breakfast of oranges and toast.

I am still laid up with my hand and although it is doing much better some chores around the house are not in my realm of expertise at this time. The yard was looking quite shabby and was in need of a good mowing and a trim. The apple trees needed fertilizer as well as the spruce trees.



Proverbs 10:5 He who gathers in the summer is a wise son; He who sleeps in harvest is a son who causes shame. 

I wasn't surprised at all yesterday when the Mrs. started  the tractor and was soon cutting the overgrown grass. She had on her sunglasses and music ear buds. She handled the tractor like an experienced farmer. I brought her something to drink to keep her hydrated and she kept at it until the job was complete. The weather was perfect for the work and the sun was shining brightly. Once the grass cutting was done she asked me how to start the weed trimmer. It was then and there that I wished we had a battery operated one. But together with her holding the thing still and me pulling on the starter rope with my good hand it fired up after the second pull. We did the same with the yard blower and soon everything was trimmed up and the sidewalks and driveway cleaned.

Rene asked me if there was anything left to do and I told her that the trees needed fertilizer spikes while the ground was somewhat soft. She asked for a hammer and instructions. I gave her a three pound hammer, some safety glasses and we walked our property. I showed her where the spikes needed to be pounded into the turf. To my surprise she really took to it and although an experienced trades person would have had those spikes in the ground with four or five good swings. We settled for getting them in with fifteen or twenty lighter taps from the hammer. Now we wait to see if God blesses us with apples.

Once all this was completed my wife/ landscaper sat down at the picnic table and washed the dust from her throat with a cold Dr. Pepper. Again not being too hot to work,  the sun and the labor was enough for the day. Later last night I watched her sit down in a chair to relax and within minutes Rene was sound asleep.

An hour passed by when I woke her up to send her to bed. I mentioned that she was pretty tired when she sat down. Her reply was this. "A little hard work on a beautiful day is going to make for a great night of sleep."
So with a ten fingers in tact and after a couple slices of apple my yard warrior was off to bed not to be heard from until this morning.

My point is this. When you see something that needs to be done, get it done as soon as you can. You never know what the next day will bring. Work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labor. It helps you to sleep better. But at the same time, know when to quit and rest.

God bless.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment