Monday, September 16, 2019

Watching A Football Game 9/16/2019

Good Morning.

Door County Caramel Pecan Scones Coffee is steaming in the cup next to me and both dogs are sleeping. The sun is trying to rise and shine through s dreary, and foggy day. Yesterday, as usual I had a bunch of little projects to do and after my Bible study was completed and my prayer time finished. I tackled them one by one. This included mowing the lawn and spending time with beginners training for Leo the new puppy.



I came inside the house for a cool drink and had just set up my miter saw to cut some oak wood trim that I wanted to add to the house for a long time. My wife Rene had just turned on the Green Bay Packer NFL football game. She asked if I wanted to watch the football game with her and I almost said "no thanks" but decided to sit for a spell and and watch some of it with her. In the beginning of the game things were going pretty well for the Packers and I watched Rene cheering and her mood was very joyful. I would say she was ecstatic with her pleasure in seeing the Packers tromp the Minnesota Vikings. So I stuck around for the second half of the game and things turned sour for Green Bay and they couldn't seem to solve the issues that the Minnesota defense was throwing at the Green Bay offense. As a matter of fact the score started to show Minnesota catching up and the "game was on". It ended up being a close game and the Packer defense saved the day.  But let me tell you this during that second half "Little Miss Ecstatic" was anything but cheerful. She actually got up from her chair and started cleaning the house saying "I am done watching this stuff". I tried not to laugh but it was hard to hold back. She had invited me to watch the game with her but then left me sitting there while the Packers were stumbling along.  I continued to watch the game and a few stellar defensive plays won the game for Green Bay. I went into the basement where Rene was folding clothes and announced that they had won the game. Here is what I heard. "Really? Are you kidding me"? I told her about the the defensive plays  and said it was a great job on defense and I left. She missed the best part of the game. The win!

2 Timothy 1:7 " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Here is my point. Life gives us good days and bad days. It is just a fact. I have watched people serve our Lord and be exuberant in doing so. But something happens that sends them into a tailspin and they stop serving, attending church and for some I see them get angry with God. There are a few who I have never seen again because they feel God did not perform to the way they wanted or expected.

This is a tragedy. Instead of growing closer during the trials of life and watching God lead them through, they abandon ship, change the channel, or  go fold laundry. They forget that If God brings us to it, He will lead us through it. They choose to leave the field of life and battle it out on their own.  Even though the Green Bay Offense sputtered in the 2nd half of the game I saw the same offense cheering on the defense. We must never quit on God. In Isaiah 55 it is written that Our ways are not God's ways. Our thoughts are not God's thoughts. His thoughts and His ways our higher than ours.

We need to accept that God knows best and does have our best interest at heart.  If you are thinking about quitting on God today, DON'T wait on Him, cheer Him on. He is cheering for you. Hang in there and see what you can learn. Draw closer to Him and He will draw closer to you.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment