Thursday, February 4, 2021

Snowballs And Springer Spaniels.2/4/2021

 Good Morning,

This day started with prayer and a hot cup of Door County Morning Blend Coffee. It is time to write. 

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble. 

Yesterday as we prepared for an artic freeze that is headed our way, I made sure to make good use of some daylight and hauled plenty of firewood into the garage. I had our two dogs outside with me and while I was hauling wood inside, the two of them played around in the snow.

On one of my trips from the wood pile to the garage I dropped a piece of firewood. Our youngest Springer Spaniel Leo picked it up and started to follow me into the garage. I was feeling pretty good about the situation until! I had him sit and then I asked for the small log. He backed up and wouldn't give it to me. He wanted me to chase him and play in the snow. I went along with the game for a few minutes until I was breathing hard and was quite winded. Leo then would run up to our other dog Gibbs and try to get the older dog to chase him.

So after enough time went by, I decided that it was time to go inside after I took that piece of wood. Leo still wanted to play and the battle of wills was on. He would run up to me and then run away, wanting me to chase him. I should have had my whistle on me because when I blow the whistle both dogs know it is time to comply.

The snow in our yard is still fluffy but easy enough to make a snowball. I made a softball sized snowball. It was packed loose enough so it wouldn't cause any damage to Leo when I threw it. A he was running away I took aim and threw the snow grenade and it landed perfectly on his rear end. He stopped in his tracks and looked at me as if to say "hey did you see what hit me?" I loaded up round two and as he walked away I threw again but missed by an inch. Leo saw it coming but had no idea who threw it. The second one did the trick. He came running back to me and fast, wanting to be safe from the snow bombs. He gave me the log and walked inside with me, looking over his shoulder now and then. 

The lesson today is this. Sometimes things take us by surprise and we get scared. The point is, Leo ran to the Master for protection. We all need to remember that our God is here to protect us from the unknown and the scary things of life. He walks with us and guides our steps through uncertainty. 

So dodge the snowballs of life and take shelter in God Himself. 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment