Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Memories Are Like Ghosts Sometimes 7/5/2017

Good Morning,

May your burdens be light and you Door County Jingle Bell Java Coffee be steaming hot. Wednesday, here we come.



Yesterday we were able to spend the day with four dear friends of ours and our picnic was a good time for all. It has been a long time since we all enjoyed an outing together. We have all known each other for a long time. One of our friends and I go back all the way to grade school.

Psalm 127:3-4New International Version (NIV)
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
    offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.

One of the couples there yesterday has four children and when their two oldest girls and our daughter would get together the two families would just have riots of fun. Those three girls were so gullible and often would be the targets of Silly String or water balloons. They are grown women now with children of their own and all three are scattered around the country.

While sipping on a cold root beer yesterday and sitting in the shade, I closed my eyes for a minute or two. My mind took me back in time to when those three were teenagers. It was the Fourth of July and the three were lobbying with us to allow them to go to the local big music festival downtown. They had their lines well rehearsed and had an answer to every objection we came up with. " We know enough to stay hydrated on a hot day. There is plenty of shade. We are old enough to be able to go. We all saved up enough money. The tickets were free. We will call you early enough to pick us up"

Those were fun days. In my mind I could see all three of them and hear their voices. I remember the youngest one rolling her eyes at our questions. I recall thinking that our kid should grow up and go to law school. It was like they were almost there.

What I was doing was reliving a memory of happy times. I didn't see any ghosts and I don't believe in them. I was reliving a blessing and it caused me to smile. God blessed us with great kids and added two more to our friends brood to boot. The other couple also has a child who too is a grown woman now. She wasn't around during the teen years of the other three. But she graced us by coming into our lives later and we enjoyed family times together with her also. Rene and I were her youth group leaders. Many great memories there.

Friends, enjoy your kids, spend time with them. Before you know it they are gone and fun times are few and far between, especially if they move away. Take pictures and thank God for the time well spent with them.

God Bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment