Thursday, July 27, 2017

Giving A Blessing 7/27/2017

Good Morning,

Let me say this. I believe that Thursday is just here to warm us up for Friday and I am glad that it is here. I will be breaking in some new shoes today so a little extra Door County Blackberry Shortcake Coffee is in order. Two Tylenol for the sore feet later are packed with my lunch. Some prayer and time with all of you and I am ready for the day.



I believe that those who are older or are in a position to pray a blessing on others should do so and prayer should be sought by the receiver of the blessing.

Numbers 6:24-26New International Version (NIV)
24 “‘“The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.
 
We often minimize a real blessing to someone by just saying "God Bless". Now that is a very nice statement compared to some of the good wish toasts I have heard in my lifetime.
 
But when we truly want to bless the life of others, set them on a path, or ordain the choice they have made, we become fully aware that only God can truly bless them. But in a sincere prayer of blessing we become intimate in the blessing by forgetting ourselves as the one bestowing the blessing and coming before God to ask for Him to bless the other person. We ask humbly that God bless others as we cannot. He knows what is best for them and how to bless them. When we ask God to keep them, we are asking for their protection and we are only thinking about them at this time. We ask God to protect them and for Him to build around them his safekeeping, the blood of Jesus and the Holy Spirit to be over them and keep them.

Now imagine the face of God shining on us, in return our faces would shine and reflect His glory. Is there any other place you could wish someone to be? That alone allows for peace which surpasses all understanding. Only God can show the person the way to follow His will and live with God facing them. So we are asking God for direction to be shared with the blessing recipient.

I will be praying a blessing upon someone this weekend, someone I love, someone who deserves to be blessed. But what I am really doing is forgetting myself and intimately asking our Heavenly Father to do what I can't. This expression of love, is a reminder that only God blesses. We just ask for the blessing. He bestows it.

Have you prayed to really bless others? Have you prayed a prayer of blessing on your children?

Food for thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment