Sunday, July 16, 2017

Going With The Flow 7/16/2017

Good Morning,

This day has begun with our dog Gibbs sitting on my feet while I write and a cup of Door County Dublin's Delight Coffee next to me. If this were a January morning the "dog slippers" would seem normal. Sometimes I just can't figure this dog out.



Philippians 2:1-5New International Version (NIV)
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

That's the point of the day. Gibbs feels the need to be a little closer than usual today and he either believes I need him this close or he just wants to warm up my feet. I have been away a lot the last few days and haven't spent much time with Rene or Gibbs. Who knows what his thoughts are or what he feels he needs or is delivering, but he is causing no harm. Instead of chasing him off of my feet, I choose to go with the flow.

Friends, not everything always has to go as planned or perform as what we determine is normal. There are times when we just need to overlook some things. Anything that is not causing harm or potential hurt can be overlooked. I listened to a few of my friends try to decide where they wanted to go out to eat. After ten minutes of all of them complaining about each others suggestions I was late for the door. They had extended an invitation to Rene and me to accompany them. They did asked where we would like to go and my statement must have sounded like I just announced that I had leprosy. They stared at me for a moment and then went on to lobby with each other as to where they should go. All I said was "Just pick a place and we are good to go". That obviously was the wrong answer. They didn't even notice that Rene and I excused ourselves when we left saying "some other time". They were too wrapped up in having it "their way". We were hungry and would go anywhere. What we heard later was that they ended up divided and went to two different places. Now that ruined a great time of fellowship for them.

It would have been better for those folks to give up their egos and say " OK you pick and we will go. Next time we can try the other place". Going with the flow would have done no harm and they would have had a nicer evening.

I watched two little girls in our neighborhood set up a water and Kool Aide stand on a hot day. These two little entrepreneurs were trying to earn some money. I noticed their sign and they had spelled water incorrectly. Their version of H2o was "Watter" . One of my neighbors actually was so bothered by it that he walked over to correct their spelling and never purchased anything. He came back all self satisfied saying, " I corrected them on their spelling". I thought to myself "really? Maybe it was a sales gimmick, let it go!

Most of what we get boiled up over just isn't worth the blood pressure increase. We need to be more agreeable and go with the flow. Not every little thing needs to be corrected.

So today, if your family or friends want burger or a ham sandwich for dinner and you would prefer baked chicken, just eat a burger or add some mustard to your ham. Go with the flow. Be a team player.  The day will turn out just fine without you driving all the choices.


Marty,

No comments:

Post a Comment