Sunday, November 29, 2015

Our Father 11/29/2015

Good Morning,

It was a cold one this morning out in the marsh. We broke a lot of ice to set decoys. That probably means nothing to those who do not hunt ducks. But for me it is always a signal that the season is ending. It has been a good season with much to reflect on. I came home and made another pot of Door County Apple Cobbler Coffee and lit a fire in the hearth to warm up. I am contemplating on going back out later this afternoon.

Luke 11:1-4

 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”
So He said to them, “When you pray, say:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us day by day our daily bread.
And forgive us our sins,
For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.”[

Today I want to focus in on the first two words of the "Lord's Prayer". This is a template for prayer that Jesus gave us to use when we pray. But as I have studied and thought about the start of the prayer, two things come to mind that set the tone for effective prayer and prayer of power. I watch people pray and many times I wonder why their prayer life seems to be void of victory and peace? I see turmoil in their lives absent of peace which comes from Spirit led prayer.

The first word "Our" is indicative of including Jesus in as pray, acknowledging our adoption into the family of God. We really can't say our if we are living selfishly and not putting others first. You need to fill in the blanks for yourself here. We all have a selfish nature and each of us must reconcile that with God before prayer.

I cannot say "Our" if I’m living only for myself.
I cannot say "Father" if I don’t try to act like His child

The second word "Father" needs little explanation except to add this Scripture. God has high standards for us to strive to. I am afraid we all fall short here. We forget to humble ourselves and ask forgiveness before we layout our laundry list of prayers. Our prayer becomes ineffective.

1 Peter 1:16
16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

 
So today spruce up your prayer life with acknowledging that we fail and then go on to cry out before the Lord. After that prayer you will find that God pointed out some areas for you to work on. I know that for sure. He gave me a list of things to work on in my own life.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment