Sunday, March 25, 2018

My Bologna Has A First Name 3/25/2018

Good Morning,

From where I sit in our den I can see the sun trying to peek out over the horizon,. On my feet is a sleepy Springer Spaniel and at my side is a mug of Door County Pecan Cinnamon Ice Cream Coffee.

Yesterday I took the time to make a late breakfast for Rene and me. It wasn't much, just a few sausages wrapped in biscuits. We both had a glass of pineapple juice and a couple of strawberries to round out the breakfast.



While eating, we discussed our plans for the day and I was explaining to Rene the dreams I had been blessed with while sleeping that night. I was telling her about having a small picnic with my grandparents on my mother's side of the family. This would happen once or twice a summer and we would always grill some hot dogs, just like Rene and I do now. In our house we are not partial to any one brand of hot dog, but we tend to buy those made locally. But back in the day there seemed to be only one brand in the grocery store in Northern Wisconsin. It was a company named Oscar Mayer. They were and are famous for their bologna and their hot dogs. They still have a vehicle they drives around known as the wiener mobile. Every time we had that small cook out, the hot dogs would be the Oscar Mayer brand. I don't know why I thought that it was important to tell Rene about the brand of hot dogs in my dream, but I did.

Rene drank a little pineapple juice and then said "did you eat their bologna as a kid"? I replied "oh yes'! She asked me if I remembered their bologna advertisements and the bologna jingle. I started to sing the commercial and the next thing I knew we were singing "My bologna has a first name it's O S C A R. My bologna has a second name it's Mayer" in harmony. We finished the complete tune and ended up laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes. Rene then made a profound proclamation. " I sometimes can't remember why I went to the basement, but I can remember a bologna commercial from 50 years ago," We laughed again. I love to hear the sound of laughter in our home and our marriage.

Ecclesiastes 3:2-4 A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance.

Proverbs 31:25-26 She is clothed with strength and dignity, she laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.

A joyful heart is always good
Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
Proverbs 15:13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face, but with a heartache comes depression.
Proverbs 15:15 For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.

Friends there is so much going on in the world that it's hard to find things to laugh about. The news is filled with bombings, wars, school shootings, stock market plunges, and other vile things. Rene and I do have serious conversations and a  lot of them. But for a short time we found something to laugh about together. It didn't cause anyone any harm and it felt good to be silly. So today here's to a little silliness and laughter today.  It's good for the soul.

"I love to eat it every day, And if you ask me why, I'll say. Oscar Mayer has a way with 
B O L O G  N A.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment