Monday, February 15, 2016

Saying Goodbye To The Kitchen 2/15/2016

Good Morning,

I am stepping out with my cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee in hand and a prayer on my lips. My hope for the day is to come home at reasonable hour, and go to work out with Rene at the local gym.



We will be doing a pretty good sized remodel of our kitchen later this spring. I am a creature of habit, but this well used kitchen of ours is in need of a facelift. I have put it off long enough.
Rene has an eye for antiques and how they can be used again or re-purposed. Yesterday as we were looking for antiques, she mentioned an idea that would repurpose an old sewing machine drawer and some vintage canning jars. Her idea is to place the jars in the drawer and use them as pantry canisters for flour, sugar and salt. I thought the idea was great until we got home and I realized that the canisters we used for 30 years would be given away or tossed. I made a lot of meals out of those canisters.  Now, really losing the canisters is not that big of a deal and it is time for a new look. But I started to recall some of the people that were served by those canisters as well as the kitchen. And some of those folks are gone now. But now it is time to continue making memories. Just like duck hunting, it's not the gun, the boat or the decoys that make the hunt. It is who you share it with, like your buddy, a great dog and God. God gave us this kitchen and all that is in it. It isn't the table, the oven or the coffee that makes the kitchen special. It's who sat for a bite to eat, who celebrated a birthday, who spilled a Mountain Dew, it was who was there with us, family, friends, and God.  I think some of the best days in that kitchen are yet to come.

Ecclesiastes 7:10New King James Version (NKJV)
10 Do not say,
“Why were the former days better than these?”
For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.
 
God bless,
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment