Monday, July 29, 2013

Itching Ears 7/29/13

Good Morning.

Once again no coffee for me today. But if I could have some it would be a gallon of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee. Counting the days until I once again can have a cup.

Have you ever known of someone or experienced for yourself having an ant or mosquito find their way into your ear? I have and it is enough to drive you crazy until it is removed or dies. You are willing to try anything to get it out. Nothing satisfies the urge to keep trying more ways to stop the itch that occurs when this happens. I actually had someone tell me to pour very warm tea into my ear to cure the itch I received from the bite of an angry ant. I had fallen asleep while on a mission trip outside on the ground. Little did I know that I was on an ant hill. It did not work and all I did was waste fresh clean water trying to make tea.

The world is full of fables and old wives tales. I am afraid that in many churches and Christian lives we are falling for the itching ear that is spoken of in 2 Timothy Chapter 4.

2 Timothy 4  (NKJV)

Preach the Word

I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
 
Many people are looking for a preacher or message that will tell them "what they want to hear" but not necessarily the TRUTH. The itch in their ears is not from the Holy Spirit but from the world. They want God but have become a people of "have it your own way". They no longer want to conform to the Word but want  the Word to conform to them. Beware of this. Paul clearly tells us that we are to Preach the truth not change it to fit the person. Sometimes the truth hurts, but in all times the truth sets people free if they desire to hear it and obey. Some will no longer preach heaven and hell. Some will not preach creation. Some will not preach the 10 commandments. This is not fulfilling our call.
 
You might not always agree with what I write. But it will always be the Truth. Some day when I leave this world and go on to be with the Lord I hope someone will say "hey that Elder was old school". Yes I read my Bible, meet just for prayer, believe in all 66 books of the Bible and preach heaven or hell. Fire and Brimstone. Well I guess so!
 
God bless.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment