Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Alone after all these years. 7/31/13

Good Morning,

Not in position yet to start my day with a hot cup of Door County Coffee. But If I were, it would be a big cup of Jamaican Me Crazy.  www.doorcountycoffee.com

                                                     

A few years ago my mother went on to be with the Lord.  A few weeks later my Dad expressed to me how much he missed her and that it seemed like every day was a new first for him. He explained that the first time he drove past the ice cream shop was a first. He went on and talked about how he and mom used to stop there for an ice cream cone or sundae. So seeing it the first time without her was a first. My heart ached for him. I never thought of it that way.

A few weeks after that my wife and I went to Door County for a few days of rest and antique shopping. Life had been pretty stressful for me also. I was still at that time, recovering from an illness and the loss of my mom which was very unexpected and it had taken a toll on me. The get away was much needed. We had a wonderful time and my wife purchased an antique desk. I have written about the desk before. Since it would never fit in our Ford Escape she told the antique dealer that I would be back the following weekend with a truck to pick it up.

The following weekend I found myself back in Door County Wisconsin. I arrived before the antique shop opened for business. The week before my wife and had eaten breakfast at the Door County Coffee Company. I love their baked oatmeal. Well not being one to never treat myself to a goodie or two I returned to eat breakfast and ordered my baked oatmeal. I was sitting there alone thinking about the wonderful time we had when she and I were there just days ago. But now she wasn't. I felt alone and almost in tears when I realized what my dad was experiencing. It hit hard.

I bet many of us have attended funerals and we all say. "Just call if you need anything". And for a couple weeks we call the widow or widower and before we know it we just don't call as much if at all. Yet they are still going through "firsts". We need to continue with compassion and remember our friends and loved ones who have experienced the loss of their child, mate, or parent.  I know I fall short in this and, instead of constantly looking to show love, I often will give in to a love of self instead of a love for others.  Maybe you too can identify with that thought.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
 
Colossians 3:12-13  Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved,  compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and,  if one has a complaint against another,  forgiving each other;  as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
 
James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself  unstained from the world.

Let's remember those going through firsts. And make sure we call them. They probably really won't call us.

God bless,
Marty






No comments:

Post a Comment