Monday, January 7, 2019

The Cane And The Reminder 1/7/2019

Good Morning,

I started very early today so I could have breakfast and a cup of Door County Spicy Nut Cracker Coffee with my wife Rene. I was able to hobble around enough to make a small steak, potatoes and eggs skillet for her.


Psalm 23 New King James Version (NKJV)
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.

23 The Lord is my shepherd;
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

I mentioned the other day that I had graduated from a walker to a cane for assistance in my walking. I can use the cane indoors only for now and that seems to be just fine with me. I also said that I would write about the cane a few days later. Today is the day.



We did not have to purchase a cane for my recovery. I had one hanging in the garage and knew that some day I would need it. The cane belonged to my great aunt Rose. For a short time in her long life Rene and I had the privilege to assist in her old age care. As Auntie Rose slipped further into a life of dementia her cane became an assist to walk and a weapon. One day I was called to the nursing home to see if I could talk her into surrendering her cane. This little old lady had all the attendants held at bay. She weighed about 85 pounds at the most. When I arrived she surrendered the cane and I took it home and hung it up. Before our little Zorro gave up her cane she cracked me one along side of the head with it. She had slipped into a state of dementia for a minute or two. She was confused and chewed me out before unleashing her love tap to my head.  From the time I spent visiting Auntie Rose I knew that she would recount family life with her brothers and sisters. She was the youngest girl in a very large family. Something the oldest brothers did used to anger her. I believe they raised a little "Cane" in town now and then and it embarrassed Rose. So as she would get confused she would remind me that she was angry at them and she saw me in them within her memory. I received the wrath meant for her brothers.

Rose was what you would call feisty and somewhat unfiltered at times. Yet she looked like a very refined, sweet little lady. ( which she was) She  said what was on her mind.and did not hold back.  She was one tough lady. I enjoyed our visits.  I was with her when she passed away and I can still see her peaceful smile. Her cane does several things for me as well as teach me a lesson daily.

1. It assists me in walking now. Family takes care of family.
2. It reminds me to be strong and of good courage. That side of the family raised some tough cookies.
3. It reminds me to cherish my memories and always work to make new ones.
4. It's shape is that of a shepherd's staff and God is my Shepherd

When I walk and use the cane I am carrying a small legacy with me. And as I look at the Shepherd's staff I know I walk with the cane, but God has carried me thus far.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment