Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Fighting The Temptation 1/23/2019

Good Morning,

A snowstorm wrapped us in a white fury last night and there is a driveway and sidewalk that needs some attention this morning. But, that can wait until later. I just plan on sitting here for awhile. I finished my prayer time and now it's time to enjoy a cup of Door County Jingle Bell Java Coffee.

My knee replacement journey has delivered me to an out patient physical therapy clinic which is very close to our home. Yesterday I was there for one of my scheduled appointments. I want to give a shout out to my caregivers at the clinic. They are very compassionate and supportive. I would call them a credit to their profession.

We have discussed progress and goals for my recovery and my goal is to be able to duck hunt in October as well as go back to work and drive soon. There is a hidden goal that I must confess to.

Just West of the clinic is a Frozen Custard emporium. They advertise the flavor of the day on a big sign in front of their store. I was looking out of the window of the clinic as I was attempting some stair climbing. That sign with the Kit Kat Swirl was staring me in the face. It seemed like there was nothing more I wanted than a scoop of frozen custard.

I made myself a promise. I will give into the temptation when I can walk from the clinic, into the store of frozen delights, purchase heaven's gift of eggs and cream, and return by walking back to the clinic without a cane or any assistance and treat my new friends to an afternoon dish of custard.

There is a time in all of our lives when we need a helping hand. The caregivers are doing their job with enthusiasm and professionalism. But in all honesty, I need them and their skills that I do not possess. I can only do what they teach me to do. I have to accept help.



Many times pride gets in our way of accepting help and we try to go it alone when there are people ready to help us.  I am a big guy and used to bulling my way through obstacles, but on this journey I have needed a lot of help and had to swallow my pride and accept assistance here and there. Assistance has come in many forms. Each is a blessing.


Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Value of a Friend
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Two are better than one,

I relearned something I knew but did not always apply. Two are better than one.

So here's the point.  Help others when you can. Accept help from others when it is offered. Thank God for those He sends your way.

And every time you can, enjoy some frozen custard!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment