Wednesday, January 2, 2019

It's OK To Sit One Out 1/2/2019

Good Morning,

A cup of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee sits next to me and one tired Springer Spaniel is on the floor right on top of my feet warming them up. What a picture.

Proverbs 22:6 King James Version (KJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Yesterday I was unable to participate in our annual pheasant hunt on New Year's Day. The surgery for my knee replacements did not have enough time between the operation and the hunt. I think I am a few months away from activities like that. I started doing this annual event as my nephew approached a time when I wanted to teach him to avoid the trap of New year's Eve parties. Hunting calls for a clear head,not one polluted by alcohol and lack of sleep. It is now a tradition to hunt on New Year's Day morning.



I turned the whole thing over to our Nephew Nick. It was hard to watch as our dog Gibbs did not want to leave the house without me yesterday morning. It was a tear jerker for me. He went to Nick's truck and came back twice to the house before I convinced him to leave with Nick. There is a bond between man and his animal, especially a man and his hunting dog.

I pretty much am responsible for Nick's passion to hunt and it is now natural for me to turn things over to him as I get older. I recall taking him hunting and then camping in one day. The weather was bitter cold and Nick still recalls that as a good time. I recall it as a good frozen time! I can still see him sleeping in his stocking cap. Our dog Fritz was snuggled next to us as we weathered through the night in the back of my pick up truck.

Later yesterday, the farmer who's land Nick and a few of our buddies hunted, called me. He was telling me how well the hunt went and that I need to know how blessed I am to have four young men represent me the way these young fellows did.  He said this. " Those are some real nice young men". I must tell you this. A guy doesn't mind hearing that. It proved to me that the time spent with three of those guys was never wasted. I spent some time with two  of them in their high school years. I can still see one of them missing his first duck. One of the fellas is new to me and from what I have witnessed, His parents should be proud.

There is hope for this younger generation and it starts with you. Time spent with kids early in their lives always pays a dividend in the end. Spend time with them while they are still teachable.  There might be a set back or two as they wander off the path now and then. But never give up. These four young men all went to work today and know the value of getting paid for their labor. They will extend a hand shake to others and they will come home tired today. They will be inclusive to others and kind to children and animals. They have been taught to pray.

All four of them are welcome to hunt with me anytime.  And I would go hunting, and then camping in a frozen tundra, eating fresh pheasant for supper by a campfire all over again. It was worth it.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment