Sunday, April 19, 2015

When The Neighbors Move After Not Choosing! 4/19/2015

Good Morning,

What a bright and sunny day we have been blessed with here. I took some time to watch the sun come up with a cup of Door County Orange Crème Coffee to warm me. It's pretty cold outside but it's that time of year when I can enjoy sitting on the patio and taking some time to here our yard wake up.

Joshua 24:14-15English Standard Version (ESV)

Choose Whom You Will Serve

14 “Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

I have since then moved to our second floor den, which gives me a different view. From my desk I can see a big truck that is the type used for moving a family to another home. One of our neighbors is moving. I also saw it this morning from the yard below and spoke with the neighbor who was packing it very early. It is not a view that I am enjoying.

It is a young couple with four daughters. This move is anything but sweet. There has been a bitter divorce and family split. Three of the daughters are moving somewhere with dad, while the youngest will be living with Mom. This is a shame. I can't say I know them very well but I have helped them in times of flooding with some plumbing assistance. During those times they assured me that they were Christians who attended a church that I do know of. I had remarked a couple of times that their church was a long ride away. Their goal for several years was to find a church closer to home so they could get "more involved". They never had time to join us for Bible study nor did they really attend church very much. It seems as if they both have found new now partners also.

Now their time will be consumed even more. Keeping two households, sharing time with the kids, dating, and just plain recovering from a mess will eat into their available time. I know the husband better than I know his ex wife. I asked if he would stay local and he is. I asked If he would like to come with me to our Men's Bible study. His face looked tired and worn. The reply was "I'd really like to. I just have to find the time". I prayed with Him and wished him well, gave him my phone number and told him to call if he needed anything. I didn't preach to him but told him that all evidence shows that if he ever needed some time with God,  it is now. His reply leveled me. "I know, I know, we should have sought help, been active in church, but most of all personally active with God. We blew it for us and our kids. I regret not listening to all those who reminded us of our commitments to Jesus. I guess we weren't committed at all."  I will follow up with him from time to time and see if these lives can be turned around. My fear is that too much damage has been done and there is no desire to reconcile. But my prayer will be for their return to God. It all starts there.

Today, what started out with peace, quiet, and tranquility has turned to a day with my heart heavy for a family that made a wrong choice.

Friends, if you know someone heading down this road, intervene as much as possible. Intercede in prayer for them. Invite them over more often. I wish I had.

God bless,
Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment