Monday, April 20, 2015

In The Cleft Of The Rock 4/20/1015

Good Morning,

Monday has arrived and I will embrace this day with prayer and a song in my heart. The day will also start with a cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee. So, off to work I go.


 

I am posting  Scripture from the Book of Exodus 33:12-23. This particular passage has always intrigued me.

Moses and the Glory of the Lord

12 Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”
14 The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
17 And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”
18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”
19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”
21 Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.

There are songs written about this passage and probably thousands of sermons preached over many years. I am astonished how God converses with Moses and just how comfortable Moses was in talking with God. But then I see that Moses forgot just who he was speaking to. It was during this dialogue that Moses was reminded that he was a man, and God is God. 

 Moses  demonstrated that he was listening.  But then he seems to have gone too far,by asking the most astonishing thing of God he could ever ask: "Reveal to me now your glory!" Ex 33:18. More than God's ways, God's actions, Moses wants to look right into the heart of God. But he has now gone too far.
"I will cause all my goodness  to pass before your face, and I will announce before your face the name "The Lord" I will show favor to whomever I show favor and mercy on whomever I show mercy. But you are not able to see my face, for no human being shall see me and live!" Ex 33:19-20 You may know my name, says God, as mysterious as that is, and you may know that I am free to act with favor and mercy with anyone I choose, including you, but my face, my glory, my essence, my person is forever hidden from any human being, even from you, Moses, my great friend.

All too often we go before God and ask Him questions and advice and then don't follow the advice. People ask advice of each other all of the time. And many times those asking for the advice do not follow it. But when we go before God and He tells us what to do and we do not follow His advice we are attempting to lower God to our standards and treat Him like a buddy or girlfriend. We forget who we are calling on.  Let's all keep God on His proper throne and not lower Him to try and meet our standards. Remember who you called upon!

God bless,
Marty






No comments:

Post a Comment