Thursday, April 2, 2015

Easter Eggs And Christians

Good Morning,

I hope this finds each and every reader well and blessed. My coffee pot has brewed some Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee for me this morning. I woke up to the aroma teasing my sense of smell this morning.

In my life, I cannot remember celebrating an Easter without dyed, hard boiled eggs. It was always a lot of fun and still is to dye the eggs and write notes or names on them.

Eggs were often associated with pagan festivals and celebrations of spring. Eggs were symbolic of rebirth and new life, making them an appropriate part of the celebration of spring and the new life that comes after winter. It was common for eggs to be decorated in conjunction with these spring festivals, and common to see these colored eggs given as gifts to friends and family. The symbolism of rebirth fit well with the spring holiday of Easter, as it is the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection. The practice of decorating eggs and giving them as gifts was adopted by Christians and included in their Easter celebrations.

In the Easter egg I see a picture of a shell that needs to be removed in order for the egg to be taken and eaten. If one were to eat the shell with the egg ,it would be a bad experience. If Jesus had not risen from the grave He would have been nothing less than a good man with great morals. Good to learn from but nothing much to base eternal life on. I see the shell of the egg as the stone over the tomb of Jesus and although the inside is beautiful it needs to have the shell removed before eating. That egg waits until someone with the desire and skill to remove the shell comes along. Jesus was in the tomb as He said he would be.  The stone was rolled away and eternal life was started for those who believe on the name of Jesus.  That's what I think of when I peel and egg shell.

So next time you eat an Easter egg think about the resurrection. It adds much more to Easter than some chocolate bunny.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment