Saturday, April 18, 2015

Seventy Times Seven! Are You Kidding? 4/18/2015

Good Morning,

My day has begun with a big cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee, some Cheerios, and prayer. I am a little behind this morning and I need to push it a little.

Matthew 18:21-2
21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

By saying we are to forgive those who sin against us seventy times seven, Jesus was not limiting forgiveness to 490 times, a number that is, for all practical purposes, beyond counting. Christians with forgiving hearts not only do not limit the number of times they forgive; they continue to forgive with as much grace the thousandth time as they do the first time. Christians are only capable of this type of forgiving spirit because the Spirit of God lives within us, and it is He who provides the ability to offer forgiveness over and over, just as God forgives us over and over
I have listened to many sermons on this subject and have preached a couple on it myself. This is easy to preach but not always easy to follow. I have looked a person in the eye and told them "but we are to continue to forgive", after their spouse cheated on them for the millionth time. The same goes for a parent who has been hurt over and over by a wayward mean out of control child. Or a battered spouse who is afraid of the person who claims to love them and begs forgiveness, yet continues to beat them.

Some ask "how can I do this"?

We have to remember that we have a seventy times seven, twenty four /seven God. When we choose to obey and forgive He carries us and gets us through the long haul. He will never let us down.

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Have a blessed day.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment