Friday, November 3, 2023

Drought Recovery 11/3/2023

 Good Morning. 

My day started slowly this morning. For some reason I just can't seem to get myself into faster motion. I am sitting at me desk with a large mug of Door County Toasted Praline Coffee and it is time to write. The area of the United States where we live had been in a rough drought. We were many inches of rainfall short of what was needed. But, little by little and at times with some heavy rain storms our land recovered from the drought. As we head into winter and I look outside the grass is still green. Last week despite the cold my wife Rene had to mow the lawn. I spent some time in prayer asking God for more rain this summer and He answered the prayers of many people. 

What I want to talk about today is the spiritual droughts that we endure. A natural rain drought is something that we have no control over and there isn't much you can do about it. But a spiritual drought is something you control and most often it is by your own choice to be spiritually barren. We are as close to God as we choose to be. Yet, there are times when a spiritual drought is sent to us by God. Like plants, the roots grow in deeper to the ground seeking moisture and food. In a drought of loneliness and spiritual wandering we encounter a deeper thirst for God.

Psalm 63:1 O God, You are my God; Early will I seek you. My soul thirsts  for you.; My flesh longs for You, In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. 

As if we were wandering in a hot desert, our body and soul would seek water with a great passion. Only water can cure a thirst. If we are in a time of spiritual drought, do we seek sources of relief from the world and our own desires? Or do we seek out the One who can end the drought in our hearts. Do we seek Him 24 hours a day with an unquenchable passion for spiritual peace and satisfaction? 

We are as close to God as we choose to be. 

Marty

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes He will bring something that will cause us to seek Him in a difficult time, and He answers our prayers.

    ReplyDelete